Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use a little help identifying What I believe are Belgian Proof Marks on a S&W Model 19. Thanks to help in another forum I believe I have part of the history of this gun, but not all. I believe that the proof house and the year can be identified from the proof marks, but I would like to confirm that, because it will help to identify the revolver properly.

When acquired the gun, I knew it was, re-imported to the US from Europe fairly recently, but was not sure if it had been modified while there. Here is what I know so far:
  • S&W Model 19-P
  • Fixed sights
  • Slotted, painted front ramp sight (this is what threw me a curve but apparently factory)
  • WISCHO mark on barrel (I know this is or was an importer based in Erlangen, Germany)
  • S/N AWF17xx (according to the SCSW 4 this dates it to ~1987)

After some help I found a note in the SCSW book that mentions a Model-P, and confirms the approx year. Apparently an overrun of a special order, shipped to Europe. Proof marks are NOT German as I first thought, no sign of an Eagle over N or German house marks.

What I still need help with:
  • What looks like a crown over a cursive L in an oval, may be a Belgian mark for foreign firearms. Same mark on bottom of barrel, frame in front of trigger guard, and rear face of cylinder (almost invisible)
  • P over bar on bottom of barrel, a date code (?)
  • Star over a letter on barrel (??)

Shoe Gadget Headgear Wood Cable
Automotive tire Rectangle Drinkware Drink Material property
Automotive design Font Rim Gadget Personal luxury car
Automotive tire Rim Gas Liquid Automotive wheel system
Watch Audio equipment Gas Automotive lighting Electric blue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, and no. You may have seen my other thread in the other forum, as well as my previous one, so you probably know why try to get someone to confirm my not-so-educated guesses about dates and places, LOL.

Pete

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
I haven't seen your other posts. If it was on the Blue Forum and they couldn't help you, I doubt I can. I found this more extensive reference to proof marks: Proof marks | BOBP Application.

I'm no expert but it appears that your last picture of the flame over L is the Belgian standard proof for foreign made guns. The other marks, I can't decipher them.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
The Dunlops have to go mate...

thewelshm

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Dunlops have to go mate...

thewelshm
LOL. That was my thought too, even before I got my hands on it. Funny though, found out in the meantime those were actually the rubber grips the 19-P overrun guns shipped to Europe with... I'm always open to suggestions, is this any better? I have a set of 1980's Target grips I could put on, but these are more streamilined and seem to look better on a 4" gun with fixed sights.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Hey Pete,

Welcome to S&W!

Swell looking revolver!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
WISCHO is a post WWII West German firearms distributer - the proof marks do not appear in any of my references - not German , Belgium , or Austrian -

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A model 19 made for the foreign market.(y) I like it and would like to find one.
I am getting there, slowly.

It is one of a special order with fixed-sights for the Peruvian Police, made in 1987. About 3000 were made, only about half were shipped to Peru before the order was cancelled. Most of the rest went to Europe, some stayed in the US. The European distributor was Wischo, so that explains that mark. This one was imported to Europe via Liege, Belgium, and has the Belgian proof mark for foreign firearms, L in a circle with the flame (or crown). The pic below came from another thread in this forum.

The "P" is a Belgian date code for the year it arrived in Europe, 1988.

Still working on the rest.

Organism Font Pattern Symbol Circle

·
Super Moderator
36,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Nice revolver and definitely improved with the replacement grips!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts