Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My name is Pablo and I am Brazilian and this is my first time here.
Recently, my father passed away and I inherited this weapon.
This weapon was inherited from my father by his grandfather.
In other words, my great grandfather.
I have been looking for data on this revolver on the internet. Virtually all google results end here on the forum.
I know that this gun was originally 6 inches and was reduced to 4 inches.
I would like to know more or less the date of manufacture.
The model would also like to know if it is possible.
From the research I have done, it looks like an M&P Model of 1905 - 3rd Change but I'm not sure.

One more doubt...
Where can I buy a new handle for this weapon?

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Bom DIA! Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Pablo, it's going to be very difficult to give you much information on that gun. The serial number has been altered and we need to know that in order to tell you approximately when it was made. Perhaps if you take a picture of the right side front of the frame, we may be able to give you a range of dates. Right now, all I can tell you is was made before 1928. It looks to be in fairly rough condition and that may be why I don't see some engineering characteristics that I need to see. I suspect the gun has been refinished before and the reason that the serial numbers have been altered maybe because they were corroded so badly that the Finish needed to be scrubbed. Anyway, more pictures could help.

Guy

·
Registered
450 Posts
There are a few other spots where you might check for a serial number, the cylinder face and (a bit hard to see) behind the ejector star, to see if they match. The re-engraved serial 167004 (which they would probably not have made up from thin air) could fit the general characteristics of the gun, especially the round butt with 4" barrel which became uncommon later, and would put it early, around 1910/11.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a few other spots where you might check for a serial number, the cylinder face and (a bit hard to see) behind the ejector star, to see if they match. The re-engraved serial 167004 (which they would probably not have made up from thin air) could fit the general characteristics of the gun, especially the round butt with 4" barrel which became uncommon later, and would put it early, around 1910/11.

The number 167004 is in two places on the gun
Sorry for my bad English

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Your english is fine welcome to the forum. That number was also changed you can tell because it has been engraved instead of stamped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your english is fine welcome to the forum. That number was also changed you can tell because it has been engraved instead of stamped.

in that case I don't know how to find the original number.
in the gun registration document, which is in the name of my late father, the number is also 167004

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Pablo, look on the face of the cylinder. The serial number should be stamped there. Look through the cylinder Chambers to the Yoke arm. The serial number should be stamped there. Push out the ejector star and look on the back. The serial number should be stamped there. If all of these numbers match what's on the barrel and butt, that's the original serial number. Also, the serial number is stamped or written in pencil on the back of the right grip panel.

In any case, if your serial is 167004, the gun was likely made in 1909. The grip style supports that. The upper part of the grip panel received a medallion in 1910. It is a little unusual in that it is a round butt Military & Police revolver and most of these guns after 1905 were square butt. Any round butt K frame grips will fit that gun. It may be difficult to find replacement grips identical to the ones on it. But you can certainly use later grips that are more conducive to shooting.

Guy

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Maybe not changed though. Looks to me like they tried to trace over the original numbers to make them more legible
Here is my 4" model of 1905, 3rd change, serial number 182148 so it was made 15,144 guns after the OP's. Was told it was probably made in 1911
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
That style of S&W grips are called "magna". You can find them on eBay. They are also sold on the aftermarket in the US and from Thailand. I don't know if you can import them to Brazil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pablo, look on the face of the cylinder. The serial number should be stamped there. Look through the cylinder Chambers to the Yoke arm. The serial number should be stamped there. Push out the ejector star and look on the back. The serial number should be stamped there. If all of these numbers match what's on the barrel and butt, that's the original serial number. Also, the serial number is stamped or written in pencil on the back of the right grip panel.
I recently sent this weapon to a restorer, as soon as it comes back I look for the numbers.
Thanks a lot for info mate

In any case, if your serial is 167004, the gun was likely made in 1909. The grip style supports that. The upper part of the grip panel received a medallion in 1910. It is a little unusual in that it is a round butt Military & Police revolver and most of these guns after 1905 were square butt. Any round butt K frame grips will fit that gun. It may be difficult to find replacement grips identical to the ones on it. But you can certainly use later grips that are more conducive to shooting.

Guy

I found this handle on ebay, but it really doesn't sell to Brazil. 😢

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Those are not the correct grips for your gun. Your gun is a round butt. Those grips are for a square butt. Grips that enclose the butt frame will probably work. Some of the Thailand grip makers will make a grip that will work with a round or square butt. They usually will ship anywhere.

Guy

Reactions: PabloSniper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are not the correct grips for your gun. Your gun is a round butt. Those grips are for a square butt. Grips that enclose the butt frame will probably work. Some of the Thailand grip makers will make a grip that will work with a round or square butt. They usually will ship anywhere.

Guy
my dear, i'm having a hard time finding it.
a little because of the lack of knowledge on the subject.
and a little bit because of the difficulty with the language.
it would be asking too much, would you send me some links so i can see?

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Let me see if I can show you some examples.

This is a square butt grip frame. Notice the "duck tail" at the rear of the frame.

This is the same gun with "target grips." They completely enclose the frame. It is wood all around.

This is a round butt grip frame. Notice there is no "duck tail at the rear toe of the frame.

This is the same gun with hard rubber grips that do not completely enclose the grip frame.

This is a round butt gun with "combat" grips. The grips completely enclose the grip frame. These came from Thailand.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you need more information.

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
That cleaned up nicely. Turn the gun upside down and take a picture of the flat area where the ejector Rod attaches to the barrel. We need to see the serial number and other stamps that are there.

Guy

Reactions: PabloSniper

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
That cleaned up nicely. Turn the gun upside down and take a picture of the flat area where the ejector Rod attaches to the barrel. We need to see the serial number and other stamps that are there.

Guy
Guy he has a picture of that flat in one of his earlier posts. it's engraved with the same number as the one on the butt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts