Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just inherited a smith and Wesson 38 special CTG with a serial number of S8424xx. Any idea when this gun was produced. Any help is greatly appreciated. It was my great grandpa’s revolver.

·
Registered
15,679 Posts
Cool old M&P. Not sure if Injunbro is looking at the wrong table, or if I am but I get more like 1945-46 for that revolver. The S prefix M&P's were done by 1948 I believe. It is the predecessor of the S&W model 10. You can clean up any rust with oiled copper wool. Make sure its all copper and not just plated with copper

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yep, that is a long throw action M&P, not a short throw which you would get in the '50s. As Jonesy says, the 'S' prefix ended in 1948 and your gun likely shipped in 1947 or 48. I don't know what table Irv was referring to but he is a few years off. Must be that peyote sauce that Linda makes for his breakfast biscuits...jes sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's an exceptional M&P. Your family association makes it priceless.

Note that the stag grips are not likely to be factory supplied, so if you can locate the originals it would be wise to check around.

The "K" frame is the medium size S&W revolver frame, and this has the "heavy" barrel profile, giving it the more squared off look.

·
Super Moderator
36,040 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I am another that likes the grips for your Smith!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts