Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the change to the new server there was a post about a moon clip loader. I just ordered a 625JM. I see two different moon clip loaders in Brownell's catalog, both around $40. Are they necessary? I also see moon clips made out of polymer which are purportedly easy to load with your fingers. Are they worth bothering with? I've never had a revolver that used moon clips hence the questions.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I never used a moon clip loader. I did buy a de-mooner from Dillon and that was the best $16.00 {or there abouts} I ever spent. Loading the clips is not that big a deal {to me}, so that money was spent on reloading supplies. I never tried the plastic clips as it was my understanding their use was limited to practice rounds.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I made my own de-mooner out of a small screwdriver handle, works like a champ. I drilled the hole all the way though so the cases fall right in my hand.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree , loading the clip is not the hard part . Although some cases are harder to load than others .
Unloading is where the tool come in really handy .

I used a 8 or 10 inch piece of 1/2 copper pipe and soldered a cap on the end . All the brass no matter what size falls right in just like the Brownells model .

I`m not cheap , I just hate to wait !! :lol:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hi, Richard K
Below you'll see a photo of the greatest 'mooner/demooner' combination tool on Planet Earth.
There's no point in making clip-loading harder than it has to be.
The photo will be self-explanatory to you.
I regularly shoot two S&W 'pre-26' revolvers for bullseye.
Use lots of ammo, and I've also tried 'Rimz' plastic clips.
The plastics are very handy, but repeated use tends to weaken them.
Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
What DHENRY said, a mooner/demooner from MoonclipTool. You can get them in different or multiple configurations. I have an older one:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a few things to add.

I too agree that loading the moon cips is not hard. I simply lay the cartridges down on a firm surface and push straight down. Its important to go straight because you don't want to bend the clip. Interestingly, the exposed wooden ends of a sofa's armrest are not recommended, as the cartridge rims will put dings in them. As a young newlywed many years ago, I caught holy hell for that.

I made my own demooner out of a short length of PVC pipe. I essentially copied the brownells tube-type one. I just filed a step/ridge setup into the end and cobbed on a simply wooden handle. Here are a few pics

Just give it a twist and the casing comes straight out.

I also eventually acquired a spoon type tool, but really never use it. I pack it along in my bullseye box because it takes up so little space and will do the job. Unless you are loading and unloading moon clips by the hundreds I don't see the need for the more expensive tools.

Also, I very recently bought a pack of the plastic RIMZ moonclips just to try. I think they work very well for casual shooting, and they are a breeze to use. I found them to be just a bit thick, however, and they occasionally drag in the frame. Nothing at all objectionable for casual shooting, but I think if I was doing some serious shooting like a pin shoot or an IPSC match(which I never do anymore anyway) I would stick to the steel clips.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys!
Thanks for all the replies and pics. I'll wait to get the gun and try the clips before I buy any tools. I will, however, make a de-mooning tool, as suggested, while waiting. You'd think that after all my years of buying, trading and shooting I wouldn't be so exited to get my hands on the Jerry Miculek 625.
Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My moonclipper is like Patricks copied after the Brownells. I had a rough one then made up a fancy one because I had a piece of nice Purpleheart. The brass ferrule is a plumbing jam nut. Metal shaft is a 1/2 inch bolt drilled out and turned down, cold blued. I load 45's for the 625 a gross at a time. Other photo is two gross clipped up in Plano boxes. Do that many and a tool is nice to have. The lip that grabs the clip should be a loose fit for fast work, chamfer the inside of the chamber too. But a nice light plastic one would ride in my range bag much better.

Couple of other 625 tips. I buy clips from Ranch Products in Ohio, big box full for way less than what most people charge. The are the manufacturer . Also my standard 1911 loads are not optimal for the revolver. Switched to RN lead bullets that drop in faster. The 625 is real sensitive to clean burning loads. Think about it, 1911 chambers one at a time with a powerful spring and heavy slide to slam into battery. 625 you chamber 6 at a time and expect gravity to do the job. Most competition shooters using 625's are burning Hogden Clays. I shot mine in the IDPA classifier yesterday. 90 rounds all the clips dropped in without any problem and may well shoot in next weeks club match without cleaning the gun.

Boats

1 - 9 of 9 Posts