Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think this is a 1905 4th model. Would like to know year. May have belonged to someone infamous.
Any help appreciated. serial# 416920
2nd gun may have belonged to his wife.
rt side.jpg
mhb.jpg

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Unless my eyes are playing tricks, someone has really bubbaed up the first one. Is that really a notch cut out of the barrel to accept the knurled ejector rod knob?

I think the frame may be a 4th change, but the barrel, cylinder and ejector rod are newer. The finish on the barrel and cylinder don't match the frame. There is no way the real 1905 4th change had that notch carved in it.

The serial puts it between 1915 and 1942. Given the placement in the range, and the various dates, I'd hazard 1920's.

Reactions: magmum and jeepnut

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless my eyes are playing tricks, someone has really bubbaed up the first one. Is that really a notch cut out of the barrel to accept the knurled ejector rod knob?

I think the frame may be a 4th change, but the barrel, cylinder and ejector rod are newer. The finish on the barrel and cylinder don't match the frame. There is no way the real 1905 4th change had that notch carved in it.

The serial puts it between 1915 and 1942. Given the placement in the range, and the various dates, I'd hazard 1920's.
Thanks for the reply, but the serial numbers on the butt, barrel & cylinder are all the same. Item# 858787226 on gunbroker has the same notch under the barrel.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Good to know the serials all match - that's a plus and good to know. I looked at the GB listing, and found a GunsInternational one with clear photos - I think you see where my confusion lies about that notch:

Untitled.jpg

The air space under your barrel is just so much more pronounced. Yes, the other two have flats cut into the barrel, but nothing like the profile yours shows. Yours is so deep it looks like the profile of a hatchback car.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
I had to go look at both of mine and they are the same. Guess just the way the pic is snapped. The four inch looks flatter but is the same side by side with the 6 inch. Never realized that before.
thumbnail6.jpg
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3929.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts