Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple of s&w model 3 44 russian frames I'm putting back together. They are missing a lot of parts some of which I am going to make. Does anyone know the thread pitch for the "cylinder catch screw" on the 3rd model 44 russian. The one with a large head......I'm thinking 40 or 46. anyway it would help so as I don't have to thread a bunch of rod with different threads and test them in the hole.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Drop a PM to Hondo 44.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tried making a side plate screw, all was well until I went to thread it, about 3rd pass it bent........the diameter is just too small for my lathe....I guess I'll have to buy a die or make one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys I'm gonna give it another go today. I'm gonna head down the Hondo route to make the screws. I still have a few more parts to buy or make, then evaluate them. I'm thinking of dura coating one and the other one I'll color case harden and blue PIC_0630.JPG . I'll however have to wait til spring for the color case hardening and bluing cause there is just too much snow now to get to my bluing and color case hardening room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PIC_0632.JPG PIC_0631.JPG

Well folks that didn't work well for me .106 diameter is just too small for me. Thanks Hondo for the idea. I'll check out those other sources Hondo mentioned, if all else fails I guess I can always drill and tap a little larger hole, or check out uberti metric screws and maybe drill and tap for them........I'll figure it out, so I'm off on other parts I CAN MAKE. We'll see how it all turns out down the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PIC_0636.JPG PIC_0637.JPG PIC_0640.JPG

Well folks been marching along, doing what I can. Done with all the screws I can make, made a pawl, an extractor rack and stuff to go along with it. I think my side plate is going to need some work or make another one. waiting on a tap for the extractor rack.........but getting closer. we'll see how it all turns out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PIC_0641.JPG

Well I got the nickel one up and running. Fit the hand, did the cylinder stop for maximum engagement. timed it and it ranges fine, extraction and ejecting works fine also. Will step out the door in the next day or so and shoot it.

Now on to the other one, a bit more challenging.......have to do something about a cylinder, don't want to have to buy one from uberti. I tigged the side plate where I took off too much metal. I will be more careful this time, will have to make some more grips and work on the extraction and ejection........we'll see how it goes. I will also have to take the nickel one apart again and strip all the nickel off it and prep it for the Dura Coast.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mike,

Bravo, you've done a fine job! After such skillful restoration may I suggest something? With your talent, why not rust blue it? Duracoat and similar finishes are easy and durable. But would be such a reverse anachronism on a classic traditional gun that you've put so much work into, in my humble opinion.

You'll find a cyl, eventually. Just start a search on Ebay and be patient.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I agree 1000% w/ Hondo44's post, go w/ rust bluing.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate the comments, I do have a sweat box down at my bluing room but there is quite a bit of snow between it and me. Finishing will have to wait until spring, we'll see.

The other one will be a challenge, the cylinder and all. it is a 3rd model russian and has the rack type ratchet so I'll have to figure out making one or kinda converting it to the uberti type. I think I can make all the parts but not having one to copy is hit and miss until I get it right so I'll have to think on it until then I'll work on the side plate and grips and maybe redo some other parts. I've also got an old Winchester 1886 to do this winter. I've octagoned the barrel in a rapid taper and is in .50 cal. I have to thread, chamber and headspace it. then refinish and blue. I've already refit the carrier and relieved the receiver for the 50-110. Life is always good folks, just some days better than others.

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
Wow. Looks like I'm late to this party. Welcome to the forum, Mike! Since you have all the work done, I guess it is late to tell you Charlie Pate [email protected] sells replacement screws for these old top breaks. He may also have a cylinder and sideplate or know where one is. Another expert on the Model 3 is Sal Raimondi, Sr. ([email protected]) who I know has extra parts. Whether he'll let go or not... But, if you show him what you have done, I think he would jump at helping you.

Lastly, I own a Model 3 1874 Russian and would be willing to loan it to you for any measurements you might need to make. I haven't been able to get the screws out of it to clean it like it needs. But, I's been PRO-castinatin a bit. But, see'ins how you makes you own...:)...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the response. I'm kinda at a standstill, my hand grinder went out on me just as I started making a mainspring, I ordered another one and it should be here today. I'm also waiting on some OH drill rod, I'm gonna give those screws another go. I also got a 44-40 barrel assembly with a really good bore, so I may be looking for 44-40 cyl. We will see how it all works out. I've also thought of trying a cylinder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PIC_0642.JPG PIC_0643.JPG

Well got 3 cylinder catches done today, the mainspring roughed out and got started on a barrel catch cam. I hope to get the mainspring and two of the barrel catch cams done tomorrow. I found a 44 cylinder that will do until I find a better one, still looking for a 44-40 cylinder. Got to work on the extractor stuff and a set of grips........we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I do have some stripper coming in 5-6 days. I live in a very remote location and buy most of my stuff online. The nearest big towns are about 1.5 hours away depending on the snow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not even close to being a master, little more than a novice, ended up doing honey-dos today, but did get the mainspring done. Church tomorrow so it will be Monday until I get back to work. I did kinda requisition one of the wifes old pots to do the stripping in it was going to be garaged saled anyway so I think I'm ok. Most all of the stuff I ordered will be here this coming week so I don't think I'll have to wait much more for supplies, the missus keeps me on a tight budget some people laugh but hey it works.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts