Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a new in the box blued Model 14-3 SAO (TT) (TH) with a 6" barrel. Serial number 16K44xx. Can some help me with year of manufacture?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I just purchased a new in the box blued Model 14-3 SAO (TT) (TH) with a 6" barrel. Serial number 16K44xx. Can some help me with year of manufacture?
10K0001-24K9999 is 1971
Not sure about the SAO, I think it's a double action revolver, isn't it?

Single Action Only requires the hammer be cocked by hand every time the gun is fired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10K0001-24K9999 is 1971
Not sure about the SAO, I think it's a double action revolver, isn't it?

Single Action Only requires the hammer be cocked by hand every time the gun is fired.
It is one of a small number of double action revolvers that only function in single action mode. Unigue well balanced revolver. I really want to shoot it, but it has never been fired.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
The Model 14 is a fine shooting gun & that's exactly what it's made for. I never understood the concept of unfired guns... I'd shoot & enjoy it.

Reactions: zigzag

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It is one of a small number of double action revolvers that only function in single action mode. Unigue well balanced revolver. I really want to shoot it, but it has never been fired.
Not the gun I was thinking then, however, they probably used the same serial number sequence.
I'm sticking with the 1971.

Others will drop by and verify.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Model 14 is a fine shooting gun & that's exactly what it's made for. I never understood the concept of unfired guns... I'd shoot & enjoy it.
Great advice!!! I shoot all of my other guns as soon as i get them. I will sight in ASAP. Just needed a knudge in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
We love pics of (new and used) guns and "used" targets.

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
It is the same gun you are thinking of, R&S. Some Model 14s were made for single action only.

Officially known as the Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece Single Action.

"As described above (the Model 14) but deletion of internal parts allows single action only. Pulling the trigger only rotates the cylinder but dies not lift the hammer. Available with wife it standard width hammer and trigger. Manufactured 1961-1982. "

It seems to demand a slight premium over the regular Model 14.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Just another day of learning something knew.
Thanks

Reactions: Forester
1 - 9 of 9 Posts