Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyon help me? I have a model 28 that I bought very right, I knew it had a bad center pin. Now here is my question is there any trick to remove the extractor rod so I can repair the dam thing.
Stillboard lihjgq; hipnp

·
Registered
197 Posts
welcome to the Forum.......as for the removal, I'll make it short (sweet?)
anyway it would be faster to just "do it" than try and put it all in words,step by step....must be a book out there or a video, shows "how to"....but anyway, unload the gun........remove the front side plate screw on the right side of the gun...this holds the crane leg ( cyl assembly) in the frame. With this screw out, you can open ( unlatch) the cylinder and the entire assembly will "wiggle" off ,forward, from the gun.
Now the cylinder will slide 'off' of the upper crane leg...........
now comes the part where it gets interesting and we all have our own ways to do the job, there are tools, fixtures and jigs for sale to make this "easier" but no need.........I put a couple of pieces of leather, you can use an "old belt" or such and put these on either side of the front end of the ejector rod itself, and place this in a vise ( better yet, use a "padded" vise...) I put a couple of "spent" cases, no matter if 38 or 357 mag, and insert them in the chambers, opposite each other...this helps to "support" the cylinder chambers, to the 'ratchet assembly (extractor 'star') now with this in the vise and fairly tight ,snug, you can manually 'turn' the cylinder to the left,counter clockwise, and the ejector rod assembly will 'unscrew' from the extractor........note carefully how the order of the parts will come out, there will be springs, and a collar,come out from inside the cylinder...the centerpin will be of course, "in the center..." as to which part you say you "know is bad"?? the pin or is it the ejector itself?? sprung from slamming the cylinder shut?? we cannot "see" what you have.....so either can be the "issue"...you can rotate either part on a "perfectly flat,smooth, surface and look for "wooble", and adjust accordingly...if it's the ejector itself, it can be remedied ( fixed) with out taking anything apart....just hold the gun on its right side, with the cylinder swung all the out and to the left, slowly turn the cylinder on its 'axis' and "look" for any wobble as it turns.....we adjust this with the "old fashioned S&W German babbit, adjusting tool" and tap accordingly, again, according to the "wobble" and how much it may be out of tilt........
as for any other issues, I can only think of a burr on the pin itself or someone has removed material from it and it doesn't do the job it is intended to do ( center the rear of the cylinder into the recoil shield /frame hole), OR push forward the "bolt" that locks up the cylinder in front ( the lug under the barrel) hope this helps, as I said, it can have a variety of 'issues' so you gotta know which it is ,,,,,,pins and rods can be gotten from parts suppliers or the factory .......Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts