Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I fired my .357 I pushed the button to open the cylinder but it wouldn't open. I think the extractor rod has extended or something because the locking bolt spring is sticking out what seems more than usual. I don't know what to do to get it open. I can push the button to open the cylinder but nothing happens. I can dry fire the weapon and the cylinder rotates as it normally would. It just won't open and I don't want to force it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,415 Posts
Check to make sure your extractor rod has not loosened and backed out. It is opposite threaded, if I remember correctly.

From your screen name, I take it you are a service or County forester?

Welcome aboard.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
That's pretty cool of you Shawn.
A Forester helping another forester. Too funny!

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you could take a very small blade screwdriver and try to "work" the front latch (beneath the barrel) while you push forward on the cylinder release as much as possible it might work, and then, as Forester says, tighten the release rod by turning it counter-clockwise.

If this doesn't work, and you can't work a thin blade feeler gage behind the cylinder to "slip" the button that locates in the center of the breech, then you will likely have to remove the side plate, hammer spring, and hammer and release the cylinder from the back (inside the side plate).

If you do take the side plate off and have never done it before, take your digital camera and make pix of everything as you go, and they will help you when it's time to put it all back together -- inside a Smith isn't exactly like a pocket watch, but it isn't as simple as a Colt, either . . .

Another thing to try is to see if you can work a length of dental floss around the shaft of the ejector rod where it latches under the barrel -- if you can do this, you can pull on the dental floss to help release the front of the rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts