Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Help me with great Grandfather's S&W please

Tags
ctg 22
3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Hondo44 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

I found this forum while researching my new (to me) S&W

I have owned guns before... But it is my first revolver.

My parents gave me what is believed to be my Great Grandfather's police service pistol.

He was a depression erra Seattle Police officer.

It is a "S&W 22 LongRifle CTG"

For the last 40 plus years it has been in a gun safe at my grandmothers house.

There is no serial on the very bottom under the grip/handle. However, there is a number visible on the frame/grip below the trigger.

What I assume is the serial is 295xxx

The number has no other letters that proceed or follow it.

There is a number on the frame that can be seen when you open the cylinder. It is 1072

The most up to date patent date on the top of the barrel says "Sept 09"

Could this be from the 30's ???

The blue finish wear is excessive... But the steel looks good underneath. The bore seems surprisingly good. I figure that it is not likely worth much but it is nice to have. I took it to the range today and shot 2 inch groups at 25 feet. It has been at least 2 years since I have been the the range.

I shot 42 rounds thought it and noticed (what i assume is) a little powder back spray a couple times. Is this normal?

I will post pics when I can.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum! Pictures would help alot. They can tell us a lot, and we just love to see each others revolvers! I doubt it was your Great Grandfather's service revolver as they were usually issued 38's or 38 Spl. 22LR is not a police issued side or carry piece. But being a 22 LR you have a keeper.

#7 ·
"I doubt it was your Great Grandfather's service revolver as they were usually issued 38's or 38 Spl. 22LR is not a police issued side or carry piece."

That's what I thought. Everyone used 38s right? But I was assured by his daughter (my grandmother) that he carried a .22 revolver. (Likely this one at some point according to her) ...I don't know if anyone knows if he had to provide his own or had other options 80 years ago. I have asked family for more info.

#8 ·
It would appear that you have inherited a prewar .22/.32 target model. The SCSW states that 1923 numbers reach to 384XXX so yours should be sometime prior to that. Great revolver, unfortunately, the serial number puts it outside the range of the sought after Beakert model. Keep it clean and oiled and it will last for several more generations to come.

#9 ·
It would appear that you have inherited a prewar .22/.32 target model. The SCSW states that 1923 numbers reach to 384XXX so yours should be sometime prior to that.
Thanks for the info.

Pre-1923 puts it in the right ballpark for the family oral history.

I don't really know anything about this model. When did they start?

If it is pre 1923... What is it for sure made after? (to provide a window of manufacture)

Great revolver, unfortunately, the serial number puts it outside the range of the sought after Beakert model. Keep it clean and oiled and it will last for several more generations to come.
I plan to keep it oiled up and in the family.

In my original post, I mentioned that it "sprayed" (with powder?) me a little a couple times at the range. It that normal with revolvers? Or the model? Sorry, I am new to revolvers... Have always been an auto guy. (although I am now looking at a few wheel guns)

#10 ·
I recommend you take it to a gunsmith and have them check it. It is possible that the cylinder is not locking up correctly or the cylinder to forcing cone distance is too loose. Since it has sat for so long, it wouldn't hurt to have them clean it as well. Or, you can get some Winchester Gun Blast and do it yourself.

#11 · (Edited)
First made in 1911 as a 3000 unit special order for Phil Bekeart on the . 32 'I' frame and first called the 22/32 Target Beleart Model. They were numbered in the 32 Hand ejector serial # series and began at about 130,000. It became a regular production item in 1915 and named the 22/32 Heavy Frame Target because it was the largest framed 22 at the time. It became the Model 35 in 1957 and made on the J frame in Oct 1960 until 1974.

Yours with serial # 295000 was made in c. 1918. They were and still are very popular and also numerous. Selling in the condition of yours for around $400 to $500. The 1027 # is a factory assembly # and not useful.

Get it checked and enjoy shooting it, they are very accurate. Most came with the 2 screw target grips like this except right after WW I they had the Regulation police model square butt conversion grips. The medallions are genuine gold, plated over brass so if you clean them, clean like gold jewelry and be careful not to polish thru the gold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.