Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I need to be swayed one way or the other. The pending sale of one of my handguns has left me in a position to aquire another. My ammo larder contains about 600 rounds of loaded semi-wadcutter .45 ACP left over from an affair I once had with a Norinco 1911A-1. So, my interests lie with a .45 again. My local dealer has new RIA 1911's in stock, as well as, a very nice second generation S&W 645. Which way to go?? Everything that I have been able to read on the 645 is very positive and the gun is very well made. The RIA too, has some good things written about it, and of course has the unlimited cottage industry of available aftermarket parts and accessories. Help me choose! Prices are about equal.

Dave

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dave,

Skip them both and buy a SIG 220.

Used they can be found for under $500.

You own't regret it....

Drew

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Everyone needs a Sig!!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I would go with the 645. I waited over 20 years for S&W to bring it out after being promised it in the early 1960s. I was not disappointed. It fed every every round of ammo that I put in it. I even tried loading empties and they fed and ejected. Accuracy was outstanding. There are those who dislike TDA in a semiauto but I prefer it. The Sig P220 is also TDA I haven't owned a P220.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
The RIA has some good things written about it, and of course has the unlimited cottage industry of available aftermarket parts and accessories.
The time and battle proven 1911 platform is rapidly approaching it's 100th Anniversay and to say it's one of my all time favorites would be a gross understatement.

With that said I vote for the RIA.

And if you so desire; enjoy the cornicopia of easily available whistles and bells from the "aftermarket".

weiweinp lsk705 weiweinp

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
I wasn't going to say anything because I'm really much more of a revolver kinda guy, and there are many more 1911-knowledgeable guys on this forum, but..

I just traded for a new RIA 1911 and I can't complain about it at all.

It's just a basic 1911 Government with no frills. But, if that's what you're looking for, I give mine a thumbs-up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've already got a 1911 and I grew up watching Miami Vice.

I'd go with the 645.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, the choices. Now I've stumbled onto to the new Para Ord GI Expert. Looks to have a higher class of fit and finish than the RIA, for only a little more money. Anyone have anything on these? They seem to be pretty new. Are they a typical 1911 platform? Enquiring minds want to know.

Dave

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Not wanting to harp on it here, but did you look at the Sig 220? It's the only .45 Auto Pistol I would consider superior to a pre-UAW Series 70 Colt.

I like Para Ord guns and have a neat P-14 that was built for me by a Navy Armorer from a frame kit using National Match parts. One piece of advice however about their complete guns..... Watch the "Series 80" firing pin locking plunger. They can be soft.

Once during a reassembly of a P-12 I misaligned this plunger. I carried that gun for months afterward. During a trip to the range for practice with this gun it would not fire on the first shot. :shock:

Subsequent examination revealed that the misaligned plunger had deformed when I dropped the hammer and locked the firing pin.

I pulled the plunger out of that P-12 and it shot fine afterward until I traded it off because of the bad Juju the gun had for me....

If you're going to get a Single Action 1911, I would suggest you get a Series 70 Colt.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'd have to agree with the Sig or the 645. The RIA "might" be a good one, or it "might" not. I don't own one but I have a friend who loves his (it's the one he keeps in his truck in case it gets stolen in a break-in). My impressions of the RIA is if you get a good one, that's great, but.............it's kind of a toss up. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Edit: I did own a Sig 220 years ago (all stainless and very heavy) and it had to be one of the most accurate pistols I've ever shot.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
May be weighing in late on this one - But, if the choice is for serious carry, I'd go with the Smith. If it is gonna be a plinker, aka a fun gun, whatever grabs you. I have had good and not so good1911's, but my limited experience with a double action S&W 4506 was all good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts