Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
I've about saved up enough change for another purchase. Here's my choices in no particular order, please let me know how you guys would decide, and why. I honestly can't make up my mind. The sad thing is that I start thinking about my next purchase right after making the current purchase. That takes some time to save enough pocket change, and I still don't know which I want!

Anyway, want something for woods walking (couldn't care less about bears, but we do have a feral dog population and rabid little things like '***** show up every year or two), plinking, home defense use, and just general pride of ownership. Here's the choices:

Model 610, 10mm. I really like the 10, and I have a semi in that caliber. Also like the ability to use .40 S&W in it. Looking at a current production 4".

Model 327 PD, .357. I love the .357, and have several. I like the 8-shot cylinder and light weight, specially for the woods walking purposes. Very comfortable with .357's.

Model 625 JM, .45 acp. I like .45's too. And I like the sights and features on this gun.

HELP!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would just buy myself a very nice Model 19 or M66 4" and holster. It would be a lot less expensive than the ones you mentioned. It can handle all your requirements and then some. Also .38SPL and .357 Mag cartridges are cheaper than the other calibers too. Now there, you are already saving for the next gun!

·
Registered
668 Posts
FWIT, opinion only, I've been in that same fix with the same dilemma...

Those I know with the 327 love to carry it but don't seem to get around to shooting it a whole lot;

I have the others you mention; heavy to carry but wonderful at the range.

My own current favorite revolver choices for shooting are

1) 627 V max; it continues to surprise me with the pleasures of accuracy & operation; the moon clip optional feature is wonderful; haven't got the 'rapid reload' drill down yet on the 8-hole moon clip; speed steel target acquisition seems like power steering; still, I hesitate to carry due to bulk;

2) 610 3 7/8" barrel, unfluted cylinder; it fits my grip and handles very very good. The 10mm is excellent on bowling pins and I hear the hog hunters speak highly of the round.

3) 625 continues to impress the more I shoot it. Especially after the factory did their 'master slick-up' job....and the moon clips seem to be attracted to the cylinder the way large objects are sucked into a black hole. Devastating on bowling pins.

All great choices. My own remedy to your question? One of each.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I vote for the 610. You already are familiar with the 10mm round, and the ability to use the more readily available .40 S&W is a great bonus.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can't beat 4 inch K frames for carrying around. Unless it's a 3 inch 625. Have one and a 5 inch 625 as well. Night and day difference in carry-ability. Almost no difference in performance.

Boats

·
Registered
669 Posts
Of the three you list I would choose the Mod. 610 because you also have a semi auto for that same caliber and can also use .40 cal if you want. That allows a bit more versatility than the other two listed. I have a three and five inch Mod.625 and like them both a lot so you couldn't go wrong there. :mrgreen: The Mod. 327PD would certainly be a carry a lot shoot little option with full power .357 mags IMO. Good luck with your choice. You can't really lose with any of the revolvers listed.
Bob

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
If you have to save your money, to be able to purchase another gun, why are you only interested in the high end models? For woods carry, in my area, I carry a M-36 2" +P .38spl. the most. If I'm out in the hills, with more wild critters, I carry a M-66 2 1/2" with .357 158gr. JHP or JSP. I bought both these revolvers lightly used, and saved a bundle on them. I buy all my S&W's used, but in new condition.

The old standard models of S&W's are fine with me. Just because you own more powerful and fancier revolvers, don't mean a thing, when you're defending yourself!!! :eek:

If you've got a .40 cal. semi-auto, why would you need a revolver, too? Pack the .40, and you will be well protected. You would be better served by using a gun that you know how to shoot well. Close....only counts in horseshoes!!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I have a 4" 625 Model of 1989 and a 5" Model of 1988. Both are fine guns and I wouldn't be without one.... These would be my choice....

Drew

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, I'm sorry, I realize many (most) of you on this forum probably aren't familiar with me yet. I wasn't really clear. I focus on the high end guns because I can afford them. I've been a shooter/collector for many, many years and have the basics covered. I don't NEED any more guns (don't tell my wifey), this is a purchase 'cause I've got an itch for another something. Just looking for comments from people that have the models I'm curious about.

Yes, I have the semi's covered. They are what I carry 90% of the time. But, I love revolvers, so that is where my collecting interests lie. I love my Glocks, Rugers, Kimbers, etc. for their functionality, but aesthetically, I have never seen a semi-auto that does much for me, hence I collect revolvers. Specifically, double-action revolvers.

You are right, my Glock 20 10mm with 16 in it, and another 15 on my hip is a formidable arsenal, shoots like a laser and hits like a cannon. But those 610's are just KEWL! Besides, it is easier and cheaper to plink with .40's.

And, the 625 JM is attractive because of the association with Jerry Miculek. I also like making big holes in things.

I really like the versatility of the .38/.357's as well. I bought the original light weight, a 342 Ti when they were introduced. And yes, I actually shoot mine. Fairly often as a matter of fact. Mine isn't a safe queen, it looks more like a war refugee! A 327 would be shot more with .38's and carried with .357's, just like Bill Jordan intended for the k-frames.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate you input, and I'll get back to you on what I do end up with. And I hadn't thought about a 627 V-comp, dang it!

The Highlander

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just start hitting all the shops in your area and look and handle all of the Smith and Wesson revolvers. Sooner or later, one of them will "talk" to ya. BUY that one and be happy. Don't worry if the one that talks isn't on your list. I used to think after reading or hearing about this gun or that gun that that was what I HAD to have. Guess what...they are gone, however the ones that talked to me are still with me and will always be. You might be surprized by what you hear if you listen, but they'll be keepers one and all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Close....only counts in horseshoes!!!! :lol: Bob[/quote]

Also counts very heavily in hand grenades, and also in dancing.
teesur.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
You asked - I have a 610 and a 625 both are fine guns. But for your woods carry, I personally prefer the 327 PD. - 8 shots of 357 or 38 specials in a light frame, sounds like a piece made for woods walking. The 357 magnum cartridge has proven itself. A famed African big game hunter killed a Cape Buffalo with a head shot from his 357 mag revolver; okay, so he used a metal piercing bullet. The convenience of having 38 special rounds to do a little plinking along the way, adds to the versatility of the light weight middle magnum.

Oh my gosh, I may have just talked myself into buying one.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Choose the 8 shot .357 mag M-327 PD.

You'll be the only kid on your block with one and love it! weiweinp fnovnpoa lsk705

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Onenut,
Yep, I've got the .357 grounds covered, but it's because I really like the caliber! All three of these are currently available (or were a few days ago) at a local pushers, and I have fingered all of them.

The appeal of that 327 PD is the light weight, 8-shots, and N-frame size. Plus the versatility of the caliber. I should have probably looked, but does the 327 accept moon clips? That could be a clincher, I love the things.

Right now, the 625JM is likely my second choice. Mostly for the moon clips and caliber. I do like the sights too. It would probably go back to Smith for a little tuning.

The 610 is a close third. I love the 10mm, but I'm worried about ammo availibility, particularly since I don't handload. In the current climate, who knows what may happen to some of the fringe rounds. My first choice in a carry semi- is the .357 SIG, and it is in the same boat I think.

Of course, I may screw up this whole thought process and buy a new IZH-46M for 10m competition!

Either way, I sure have fun deciding! It's a pleasant diversion from running a business, and the journey is half the fun for me.

The Highlander

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yep I truly under stand. You walk in a gun shop and a gun catches your eye and its a good deal and one you been looking for. This is fine if the selction isnt to good. But as your handling the one you zeroed in on woa whats that is that a. Oh man thats a good deal to.Man I only have enough for one of these.I want them both and this a good deal may not come around again.Oh they have a layaway here. Let me see now I can lay them both away and get them both payed off by hmm next month or so.
Then the guy says you like smith and wessons let me show you this one I just got in.
You start thinking I wish I had some gold teeth I could pluck out and swap.Should I swap my no I cant bear to lose that one But If I sold my motorcycle to the neighbor that wants it I could get these guns.
Reality sinks in and you have to be forced to choose the gun you want. This is mental torture and you pray time passes so you dont go into a depression about the realy nice ones you had to pass on. Then you come in here and some one is posting one they just bought exactly like the one you found and had to pass on and they paid a lot more for it.GRRRR you grit your teeth. Then you start thinking of getting a FFL so you can get more of the guns you like. But then you realize the horror that you will get nice ones you like but you will be selling them to some one else. Oh that would be even more painful.
So you vow to stay out of gun shops until you get some extra cash sat back and this lasts until you have to go some where and drive by a gun shop. Then the process begins all over again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts