Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up this afternoon and dutifully came home and cleaned and oiled it. In the process the safety got flicked off, so I flicked it back on. Finished the cleaning and put her back together and now the safety is really LOOSE! There is a lot of up and down wiggle.

On my other identical gun that I've had for a couple of years the safety is not loose. It clicks up and down very cleanly - no wiggle. I've been shooting and cleaning pistols for a lot of years and I've not had anything like this happen before.

DID I BREAK MY NEW GUN?

"We three girls" are planning to go to shoot Thursday and it would help a lot to know if it will probably be OK to shoot. I do not use the manual safety on these .22 compacts. In other words, I keep it clicked off except when it it time for cleaning and the manual says to have it on and leave it on during the cleaning.

Hubby is upstairs in the work room changing the mag release for his left handed shooting wife. (I'm not left handed but I shoot that way out of necessity.) He did my Shield EZ and my other .22 compact a couple years ago and it is super nice to have a few guns where I can actually use the mag release and not have to switch hands, since I have almost no strength in my fingers in either hand.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just don't envision breaking the safety by a the simple act of cleaning the firearm. It should be shootable unless the safety is so loose it engages with the recoil.

BTW, what firearm is this?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't envision breaking the safety by a the simple act of cleaning the firearm. It should be shootable unless the safety is so loose it engages with the recoil.

BTW, what firearm is this?
The title of the thread specifies that it is my M&P .22 compact.

It shoots just fine. I was concerned that the safety should not wiggle like that. Actually I don't use the safety but I don't think it should wobble like that. I guess I'll keep shooting her as long as she keeps working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts