Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me about an old revolver he has and I said I would try to help him Identify it. I have ordered my S&W book but won't get it for another week or so and I'm dying to know what he has.

I just saw a post for an M&P and I think I'm close.

Hereis what I can gather on it.
It has no model number on it that I can find.
The trademark info is on the top of the barrel.
No guard over the ejector pin. 4 Screws from what I can see.
The barrel is marked .38 S&W SPECIAL, U.S. SERVICE CTG. on the left side.
The top of the barrel has trademark info. The last date on it is July, 03'
Pinned Barrel. It looks like the cylinder is sleeved for the cartridge.
No Model number in the cylinder hinge. Hard sights.
Serial number is 11478XX and it matches on the butt, cylinder, cylinder hinge and barrel.
Here are some pics to help Identify it..

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi gearchecker,

I would say it is a model 1905 second change. made from 1906-1909 You are 1 digit extra as there should only be 6 digits in the serial. Check the barrel length as it could be 4", 5", 6", or 6 1/2." It looks like 6 to me but it is easy to check with a ruler. It should have the neat hardened Steel shims in the cylinder notches which were to slow down wear in firing double action. Around 1909 they were eliminated.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, Goofed up the S/N 114780.
does this help any better?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi Gregory,
Your gun is a Military & Police revolver and collectors have divided up these pre WW2 guns into several Model dates and variations. Standard Catalog of S&W 3rd shows a bit of confusion giving the same numbers for the M&P 1905 1st change and the
M&P model of 1905 2nd change which is serial Numbers from 73251 to 146899 1906 - 1909 which is where yours falls. I Checked Roy Jinks book "A History of SMITH & WESSON" and according to it your gun should be a Model 1905 first change with serials 73,251-120000 made from 1906-1908. It is a neat old gun and it might be able to be fired but WATCH THE PRESSURE it is a hundred years old+.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a friends wheelgun and he would like to use it for hunting as a final kill gun.
Here are the basic questions.
1) Should he get something else to use?
2) Do you think the value of the gun may be worth enough that he shouldn't be shooting it?
3) If shooting it is okay, do you think he should be able to use standard .38 Specials or should he hold back for straight .38 ammo?

I told him that he shouldn't think about +p at all under any situation.
The metalurgy then wasn't what we have today, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm sure that if he was advised not to shoot it he won't be broken hearted.
He paid $100.00 for it and really isn't too sure what he has.

He did take it to a local gunsmith and miked' the barrel. It is per spec and the smith said it was shot very little and the bore was in very good condition. All of the bluing wear is from holstering and just handling over the past 100 years it seems. The man he bought it from said his father got it from a cop a very long time ago, and his dad never fired it in all the time he had it.

This is revolver is certainly something special, and I've told him that. I also told him and his wife that if they ever decide to get rid of it or sell it - call me and it's a done deal.
I have a Model 14-3 and love it. It was given to me and it started me on the S&W trail.
My wife told me to kill off the "GUN MONSTER" in me, because he is out of control.
I can't get enough of S&W wheelguns. I want to know everything I can about them and own a few of them also.
An obsession - not quite, but really close.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi Gregory,
If the gun is in good working order I would suggest something like .38 Special Wad cutter. Nothing +p. If you can find them just for fun you could use .38 long Colt (U S Service Cartridge) or even .38 Short Colt.
The gun range a few miles from here was using a gun of the same vintage as a renter gun and one day the cylinder just split. Not a paticularly what you would want to happen but not particularly super dangerous. It was using reloads when the cylinder split maybe some had a little more powder than they should.
That is a neat gun but not a collector's item.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the help on this and I will talk to him about it.
I'v also given him the link to the post. Sure he'll keep up with it since it's about his gun.

Thanks
Gregory

1 - 7 of 7 Posts