Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

#1 & #4 are S&W diamond target grips from the early 50's... and it's really unfortunate that they've been modified with a home made "cutout", because they look very much to have been the rare "unrelieved" version of the Target grips that first came out. They were superseded in the mid-50's with the redesigned Target grips, with the so called "football" relief cut, to give clearance for the extractor when ejecting fired cases. Not uncommon to find them like that, as people fixed what S&W got wrong, but they also greatly reduced their current day value.

#3 & #6 are later style target grips I mentioned above, with the "football" relief cuts. With them being without the diamonds around the screw holes, was the style that superseded the diamond Targets in the 60's.

#5 possibly S&W J-Frame target grips.

#2 K-Frame magna style grips, the 267173 stamped on the underside is serial number of the gun they belong to.

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great answer Conrad, I am not related to the post but enjoy learning and your description helps me gain knowledge for future purchases.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the time and effort in helping me. I purchased these at a garage sale and hopefully I can get them to someone that can use them. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Regarding #2; no diamond so after 1968 and the serial number is straight line near the bottom of the stock which is consistent with mid 60's or later. Normally there would be a K stamped on as well but don't look for consistency with S&W.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts