Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a Smith & Wesson (S&W .32 Long) pistol.

I just want to verify the model and frame type, and I can’t find a model mark.

It has a walnut grip with a diamond pattern around the screw, which I believe should make it pre-1968.
It has a flat-latch thumbpiece extractor, so it should be before 1966.
It has a ramp front signt, not a half-circle which I see in pre-war guns.
There is a number on the frame at the butt end of the grip, it starts with 661 (6 digits total). I believe this is the serial.
There is a number stamped on both the frame (covered when the cylinder is closed) and on the cylinder arm (also covered when the cylinder is closed). It is 5 digits and starts with 45XXX on my pistol. I understand this is a part number.
On the frame, in the same area as the 45XXX, there is an H and a circled 3. Matching part number I am guessing.
On the Cylinder, in the same area as the 45XXX, I believe there is an A and an M or W. Could you tell me what the numbers are and what they mean?
What is the frame type for my pistol? I or J, square or round butt…anything to insure I can purchase another set of grips. Should be an I-frame, which is hard to find new grips for I understand.

Thank you very much for your time and response.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
a .32 Hand Ejector, or pre-Model 30, from late 1950's - probably 1957/8. its a 'new' I frame.. the model 30 J frames started in '61 at about serial # 712xxx

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yes, a newer, improved I frame. Stocks are the same size as the J frame round butt.

John

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
21,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts