Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I inherited this S&W Long Rifle from my father who passed in 1974. I was only made aware that it existed a few weeks ago as my Uncle held on to it for my mom. Anyway is has been kept in storage since the mid 1960's. I just receive it yesterday & have not had a chance to properly clean it The serial number is K-124361 and the number on the crane is C 524 31 5.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Here in Tennessee, a K-22 like you have would sell for around $750 in my shop. It was later named the Model 17 K-22 Target Masterpiece. The grips if they're real stags are worth about the same as a set of wood grips that would have been issued with it. It appears by the screw heads that I can see somebody (probably your uncle) took off the side plate and used the wrong fitting screwdriver, and he buggered up the screw heads. From what I see it's been well used, and with average care. The serial number indicates a 1951 build date. I can't get any closer than the year. You hhave a nice shooter there, shoot it, keep it clean and enjoy it. Hopefully you'll keep it long enough to let your ancestors down the line enjoy it too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
New screws can be had and would make this fine revolver look a lot better. As for the stocks, I would leave them alone and not try to make a trophy piece out of this revolver. It is what it is. Besides, that is the way your Dad wanted it. Clean it, shoot it, and be sure to pass it down to your kids, and they in turn can pass it to their kids. Well cared for, it can darn near last forever. Big Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Here in Tennessee, a K-22 like you have would sell for around $750 in my shop. It was later named the Model 17 K-22 Target Masterpiece. The grips if they're real stags are worth about the same as a set of wood grips that would have been issued with it. It appears by the screw heads that I can see somebody (probably your uncle) took off the side plate and used the wrong fitting screwdriver, and he buggered up the screw heads. From what I see it's been well used, and with average care. The serial number indicates a 1951 build date. I can't get any closer than the year. You hhave a nice shooter there, shoot it, keep it clean and enjoy it. Hopefully you'll keep it long enough to let your ancestors down the line enjoy it too.
Thanks Much ! I will enjoy

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Hey 88,

Welcome to S&W.

Wow! Fine K 22 you have there!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: 88CAT

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome aboard! These are great guns, that are a joy to shoot. Mine seems to favor standard velocity ammo over high velocity.
I have used mine many times to introduce young, or inexperienced shooters to the hobby.
In normal times 22's are abundant, and cheap, but right now not so much. Hopefully things will return to normal sooner rather than later..
Enjoy in good health.

Reactions: 88CAT
1 - 9 of 9 Posts