Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I picked up this early Smith & Wesson Regulation Police. 38 revolver today. I wanted to see if anyone could help me confirm its production date. From what I can tell the serial number is very low. It is stamped '435' on the front of the grip (not the bottom), on the back of the cylinder, and underneath the barrel when the cylinder is open. It is stamped '1013' on the frame behind the cylinder on the frame. Any idea of date and value? And just for fun I included a couple photos of the full box of ammo it came with. Any idea what era the ammo is from? Thank you for any info!

Attachments

Registered
I have a three digit 38 rp too. Don't have it handy but there is no patent date on the bottom of the stocks. Yours should be likewise. The specially designed stocks for the RP revolvers were patented in November 1917. I believe that production started in May of that year so the first guns did not have the patents stamped on the wood stocks.
I'll post the serial number when I get home. It is also a 4" barrel , blue version like yours.
John

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I have a three digit 38 rp too. Don't have it handy but there is no patent date on the bottom of the stocks. Yours should be likewise. The specially designed stocks for the RP revolvers were patented in November 1917. I believe that production started in May of that year so the first guns did not have the patents stamped on the wood stocks.
I'll post the serial number when I get home. It is also a 4" barrel , blue version like yours.
John
Very cool! Mine definitely does not have a patent date on the bottom of the grip. Thanks for the info

Registered
Nice old gun and the ammo is 38 S&W and not 38 Special.

Reactions: Curt360

Registered
..... The specially designed stocks for the RP revolvers were patented in November 1917. I believe that production started in May of that year so the first guns did not have the patents stamped on the wood stocks.
Minor correction here:

Production started in March 1917. Serial 435 would have shipped most likely in April, maybe May. The patent for the stocks was added in June.

Registered
Welcome to the forum! Nice older classic you have there. Thanks for sharing the pics.(y)

Reactions: jeepnut

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the information everyone! I did not realize this revolver was that old when I bought it. Pretty cool!

Registered
Minor correction here:

Production started in March 1917. Serial 435 would have shipped most likely in April, maybe May. The patent for the stocks was added in June.
Thanks for the correction Absalom. Couldn't find my old posts about the RPs and thought wrong. My 38 RP is number 648.

John

Registered
Hey everyone. I picked up this early Smith & Wesson Regulation Police. 38 revolver today. I wanted to see if anyone could help me confirm its production date. From what I can tell the serial number is very low. It is stamped '435' on the front of the grip (not the bottom), on the back of the cylinder, and underneath the barrel when the cylinder is open. It is stamped '1013' on the frame behind the cylinder on the frame. Any idea of date and value? And just for fun I included a couple photos of the full box of ammo it came with. Any idea what era the ammo is from? Thank you for any info!
1917. I just bought #103 in 38 S&W. It is as minty as you can get. I cannot evaluate your revolver, but I paid a little over $600 for mine. I also got a sealed box of Winchester 38 S&W Lesmok dated 1916 to go with it. The ammo was $175. Hard to date your ammo, but if it has the child proof warning, they were made around 1960-1962. Big Larry

Registered
Ha Ha Ha !! You are a funny guy. Boxes usually do not survive the 100 or so years. It is amazing that this revolver, made in 1917, has survived unfired outside the factory, if you will. Big Larry

Registered
Ammo is a least late 60's. factory ammo is available from Remington, and others a bit cheaper. Should you want to load your own, and you should, Lee offers a nice set of carbide dies, Starline has the brass and Missouri Bullets offers some nice bullets- I opted for the coated :) No need to hot rod your loads . I have two as pictured below, and I also make shot shells for mine. Nice little piece to carry while you are Trout fishing. :) Save your brass :)

Registered
Ammo is a least late 60's. factory ammo is available from Remington, and others a bit cheaper. Should you want to load your own, and you should, Lee offers a nice set of carbide dies, Starline has the brass and Missouri Bullets offers some nice bullets- I opted for the coated :) No need to hot rod your loads . I have two as pictured below, and I also make shot shells for mine. Nice little piece to carry while you are Trout fishing. :) Save your brass :)

Sorry, wrong photo :)

Here is one of my pair:

Registered
My revolver has remained unfired for 103 years and I don't want to be the first. I have many others in my collection I can shoot. Thanks for the posts. Big Larry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts