Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a 38 special ctg and on the right side under the cylinder it says made in USA maracas registradas smith & Wesson springfield, mass and behind the cylinder on the right has trade mark reg.us.pat.off and where the model number is behind the cylinder is 5 B 310 01 my paw paw gave it to me trying to find the history out on it

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
Will need more info. CTG merely stands for" cartridge" and has nothing to do with the model. The number you have is an assembly number used by the factory and means nothing now.
Serial number is on the butt of the gun..you may have to remove the grips to see it. How long is the barrel? Is it a 5 shot or 6 shot? Fixed sights or adjustable sights? If made before 1957 there won't be a model number on it. S&W used names, like 38 Military & Police, or Combat Masterpiece not model numbers before 57.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fixed sights and I wanna say five inch maybe six inch barrel 779xx on the butt and under barrel and on cylinder and it’s a 6 shot five screws in the whole thing

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It's a Pre Model 10 from the late 40's if my memory serves me correctly.
Nice gun and an excellent shooter.
Here's my C series M&P from a little later than yours:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a Pre Model 10 from the late 40's if my memory serves me correctly.
Nice gun and an excellent shooter.
Here's my C series M&P from a little later than yours:

That’s a pretty one you got your self very clean

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Thanks! I gotta weakness for shiny stuff. :)

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
thank you for that now I can start learning more of the history my paw paw gave it to me today and it’s got a nice home next to the other smiths
Does yours have grips like on the one delcrossv posted? If so they may be original. The serial number was writtten inside the panel

·
Premium Member
18,632 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass. Your 38 M&P revolver likely was made in 1949. We like pictures so if you can post some please do.

Guy

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Please post some pics, we'd like to see what you describe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts