Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,160 Posts
It is a S&W Model 19-5. It probably would have shipped sometime in 1983 or 1984. s/n 226K459, a nickle plated 19-5, shipped 9/83 and 195K355, a blue, 4" Model 19-5 shipped 5/1984. Looks to be in great condition.

·
Premium Member
13,160 Posts
It will shoot either caliber. The .38 special is a little shorter and will foul the front of the chamber a bit more than the .357. Important to remember when cleaning.

·
Registered
40,306 Posts
wow, I just noticed the barrel had a .357 marking on it. The box it came in had papers stating that it was a .38 spl. There must have been a mistake made when it was purchased.
View attachment 569486
Great inheritance. The snubby 19 is very popular and one would be hard pressed to get one for under $1000 these days and more with the box and goodies. Enjoy it and shoot it often.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The paper hints that there is possibly yet another Smith that belonged to your mother sitting in a drawer somewhere. The Instructions are for the considerably smaller Chiefs Special which was a very common backup revolver.

If Granny was police in the '70s (the Cities are Burning) she would have almost certainly gone by the 'heir and a spare' philosophy.

Reactions: ozvd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The paper hints that there is possibly yet another Smith that belonged to your mother sitting in a drawer somewhere. The Instructions are for the considerably smaller Chiefs Special which was a very common backup revolver.

If Granny was police in the '70s (the Cities are Burning) she would have almost certainly gone by the 'heir and a spare' philosophy.
As far as I know, she purchased the gun from a boyfriend of hers; who I think was a police chief in Miami Dade at the time. I'm guessing the man had plenty of S&Ws laying around and ended up mixing some stuff up in the process of giving it to her. But who knows, maybe there is a model 36 laying around here somewhere with model 19 instructions in the box :LOL:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I noticed the M36 paperwork, too. If you find it, it will be a 5-shot .38 Spl and slightly smaller (J frame) than the M19 (K frame). Most likely a round butt with a 2" barrel, but it could also be had as a square butt with 3" barrel. My guess is yours (if found) will be the round butt short barrel, they were ideal as a backup gun or a purse carry.

The M19's SN indicates a 1982 manufacture, so granny must have gotten it late in her service or after she left the PD. Highly desirable revolver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts