Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66001_10152302930020137_1183344803_n (1).jpg

This is a .38 S&W Special ctg. Last patent date on the top of the barrel is Dec. 29 .14. Serial number 371967 in the band on the bottom of the handle.. Any idea on age and value guys?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The number under the forcing cone is 87824. Same number on swing arm. The number on the cylinder is the same as the serial number as well as on the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
Good morning and welcome to the forum.

You have a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905 - 4th Change. This would become the Model 10 in 1957 and continues in production to this day. Literally more than a million made.

Yours is in nickel and was made between 1915 and 1942 with a serial range of 241704 - 700000. Best you can do is extrapolate a date unless someone comes along with a factory lettered example to narrow it down for you. You could also get it lettered from the factory to find where and when it was shipped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input! How would I go about getting it lettered from the factory? This gun was handed down to my dad(whos in his late 60s) by his uncle. Dad in turn handed it down to me. Does it hold any value?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
^100% agreement. The grips if they serial match the gun (look on the inside) would indicate a period correct early 1920's gun. It appears to have the 5" barrel and round butt which gave way toward square butt and 4 inch as the major trend. I also guess it has the narrow notch (rear) and thin front sights. Production of this phase, 1915 through the WWII introduction of the improved hammerblock (1944) captures closer to two million. Include the 1899 introduction through post WWII transition (1899-1948 = 2 million and over another million including post 1957 Model 10s).

The point being, condition and rarity (if any) control the Military & Police market. $250-$400 capture the vast majority. Most sell for functionality rather than collectability. Yours would tend to lean away from functional appeal (my opinion).

If the piece has any heirloom status that is its greatest value. For a realistic appraisal or if you want to offer it for sale (here) more and better photos are a must.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Waidmann! The grips do indeed match. I have taken it to the range and fired a box of rounds through it and its a great shooter! I very much appreciate the input guys!!

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Whitey! Nice old round butt M&P. Shoot it in good health and visit us often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have serial number 244583 .38 s.w. special ctg, when my grandfather died grandma gave it to me. Must be a little earlier, barrel serial number matches. Any info be appreciated. The cylinder has same serial number also and says 24 4583 and a v and s

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Mike! Your serial number is actually V244583 as the model is a .38 M&P Victory from WWII. Probably shipped in 1943. It has been refinished in nickel. The original finish was a phophate coating generically called Parkerizing. It still has the original service stocks and lanyard ring. If you plan to shoot it (and I recommend it), I would put some more comfortable stocks on it. The rubber stocks by Pachmayr and Hogue are very comfortable but a lot of folks don't like them. Fortunately, there are hundreds of stocks to choose from for the K/L frame guns. Do an ebay search and you'll spend a long time perusing the selection. You may have to remove the lanyard ring to fit the stocks over the butt, but that's an easy job. It'll digest any pressure of .38 Special that you might find so don't fret over ammo purchases. Now go shoot Grandpa's gun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whitey, how did you figure out the numbers and date? I have the same question as you with a lower serial number, 305228. The number under the forcing cone is 4526. This pistol was my father's so I am considering it an heirloom firearm. I figure it was his service gun in WWII. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
The easy answer is the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson now in its 4th Edition. Aside from that one tends to retain the date ranges of significant characteristics: ejector rod ends, frame markings, grip styles and so on. The soft parts assembly numbers found on the frame recess, crane and inside the sideplate (so long as they agree) have no real meaning. Since 500000 shipped in the 1927/1928 time frame that 300K would have been a generation old personal piece if it went to WWII.

The revolver of WWI was a 1917 Colt or S&W in .45 ACP. .38 Specials were not purchased in quantity until 1940 onward. a few thousand M&P Models of 1899 and 1902 were purchased by the military earlier and are marked .38Mil.indicating .38 Long Colt the service round until 1909 . Since there were almost a million WWII .38's built and everything in the world done to them after the war, we can almost smell them. BritishService.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! This thread is 4 years old. I doubt Whitey will see it. Your gun was made in 1919 before heat treatment of the cylinder began. It was never a military firearm as the Colt 1911 and 1917 were used during WWI. The 1911 and Victory revolver were the official military sidearms through WWII.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 38 special CTG with the serial numbers D664331. How do I find out its value. I'm new at owning a gun, I inherited it.

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your Model 10 (open the cylinder and read the MOD number stamped in the hinge), is a fairly recent manufacture. These were S&W's bread and butter guns. They made over 7 million of them. So, we can generally say they sell in the $400 range for a gun that has most of its finish intact (not beat up).

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a 38 special CTG with the serial numbers D664331. How do I find out its value. I'm new at owning a gun, I inherited it.
Indeed, as Guy says, it’s a recent and fairly common gun. The serial puts it in 1974, so it should be either a Model 10-5 (tapered barrel) or 10-6 (heavy barrel). Both were very popular and widely used by police.

So for value on one of these, condition is everything. If you want a more precise estimate than the $400 plus-minus ballpark, you’d need to post some photos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MY father just passed away and he left me a S&W 38 special CTG. The serial number on the bottom of the pistol grip is C 114613 same as the bottom of the serial number. In side the swing arm the number is G20884 8. It also have white fake antler hand grips. Can anyone tell me more about it?

·
Premium Member
18,388 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Armycoug! It would be better if you started your own thread for information on your pre-Model 10. It was known as the .38 Military & Police revolver in ~1950 when it was made. If you can post some pictures, we may be able to tell you more about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts