Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
First, Welcome to a great forum Jared. Stick around, you'll learn something new every day.

Yours, C 15899, is a .38 Military & Police, Pre model 10, manufactured in 1949 or 1950. The other numbers are just assembly numbers. Being an early C prefix 2", they currently command a premium over other barrel lengths.

Please tell us more of how / when you acquired it, we always like good stories and pictures.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I have a couple of those. My blue .38 M&P is one of the last of the S series serials that ended in 1948. Also, the C series serials began in 1948 and my guess is your gun was shipped in late 1948 or early '49. My nickel .38 M&P shipped in 1950 or '51. The only way to nail down a ship date is to request an historian's letter from S&W. They charge $50 for the letter and it will take about 4-6 months to get a reply. (BTW, the letters and numbers stamped inside the yoke were used during soft fitting in the factory. They have no meaning after the gun was assembled.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Really apprciate the information guys. My dad gave me this yesterday with a story about how my grandpa acquired it. He said he owned some business that had a punchhole machine in it, and the last punch won this gun. Said a guy put down 5$ thinking he'd get the last punch but was one short, so after he leaves my grandpa puts a quarter in and wins the gun.

No idea if any of that's true but that's the story I was told about it.

Couple more questions about the gun - every picture I'm seeing online that looks similar has non-plated trigger/hammer but mine are plated. Does that mean someone had it refinished or replated or whatever you'd called it? Or did any of them come from the factory like mine? Also when looking for a holster that would fit correctly what would I be looking for? Is it a K frame?

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
S&W only rarely plated hammers and triggers. 99.999% of revolvers they produced used case coloring/hardening on the hammers and triggers up until they began producing stainless steel and MIM parts. A tell-tale sign of a refinish is plated hammers and triggers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't plan to sell it, but does any monetary value the gun had pretty much disappear once refinished?

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
A collector will have 0 interest in it. However, someone who wants a shooter/carry gun might give $300-400 for it. They make great shooters for a snub. Pretty darn accurate out to 20 yards or so, depending on your eyes and hand palsy ;).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts