Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Hey A,

Welcome to S&W!

Would that be a 44 Russian?

No. The current S&W will not restore that for you...

If you were to remove the grips, get some COPPER CHORE BORE and let it soak a couple of weeks in ATF (tranny fluid) am sure you would improve the appearance somewhat.

It is worth more the way it is, than if it were to be restored.

Merry Christmas.

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
The star indicates it was returned to the factory. Ease the grips off and you may find the month and year it went back. I am out of my league here and will be watching the answers. I assume the chambering is for the earlier .44 S&W American rather than the .44 S&W Russian and .44 WCF of later guns.

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
If it is an inheritance and treasured then would refinish as will be in the family. If no sentimental value then would clean up as mentioned. Fine old piece of history. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
It would be very expensive to restore the finish. I would soak it in a good penetrating oil after removing the grips. I believe Ballistol would be good and a brass steel wool like pad. Be careful if you use 0000 steel wool and use plenty of oil with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.