Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellers, I'm in crisis mode now! I've been building an 870 home defense gun from a spare 870 I had lying around. Now I'm a lefty and the Knoxx SpecOps adjustable stock with pistol grip makes working the safety pretty tough. My other 870 (duck gun) has a LH safety button made by Fortmann's. I went online to MidwayUSA tonight to order another and they state it is out of stock with now backorder! Does anyone know where I can get one?

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I was always uinder the impression that you could reverse button, for lefties, on the safety on most pump shotguns, and particularly.....an 870. I recall reading that somewhere (?). Don't ask me how........but check the owner's manual for an 870. I assume you have the safety button at the back of the trigger guard, for the 870. Bob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob K said:
I was always uinder the impression that you could reverse button, for lefties, on the safety on most pump shotguns, and particularly.....an 870. I recall reading that somewhere (?). Don't ask me how........but check the owner's manual for an 870. I assume you have the safety button at the back of the trigger guard, for the 870. Bob
Bob, that is a common misconception. This may have been possible on the early 870s, say more than 20 years ago. However on both of mine (that are roughly 15 and 20 years old) the safety spring retaining pin, spring, and detent ball are located off center and given the way the groves of safety button are configured, you simply can't reverse the safety. Well...you can, but the gun won't ever come off safe!

It seems that the only two options are to buy a LH trigger group from Remington to the tune of ~ 100 bucks or find this $15.00 LH after market safety button that is no longer available. :evil:

Seems to me that I am being descriminated against because of my right mindedness, and that if I can't work my home defense shotgun I am therefore being forced to become a victim. Surely there must be some sort of class action law suit or government program available to me. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cush,

I do not post often but read a lot.

Anyway help me out here. Are you looking for a left hand trigger housing or is there a after market saftey that you can put in a right handed trigger housing that works for a left handed guy?

If it is a after market saftey I have a proposition for you. You say you have one saftey already.
Take it out send it to me and I will make another one for you on my lathe.
This is what I get out of it- My youngest is a lefty too and I can make a copy for his 870 too. You get your original saftey back and a copy and I get a copy for my son's gun.

John

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jspick said:
Cush,

Take it out send it to me and I will make another one for you on my lathe.
John
John, e-mail sent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts