Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this pistol years ago and just relocated it. Never shot it. Original finish was blue (99% gone). Barrel is 6 1/2 inch length. Six shooter. No additional numbers or identifiers other than that pictured. Any help appreciated. Would like a ballpark value if available.

Revolver Cylinder Metal Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I'm not an expert but I have a book :D. That's an interesting old S&W you have there Sparks. The lack of a locking lung under the barrel threw me at first bur I see in 'the book" that the 1st model 32-20 Hand ejector was without. The barrel markings are correct for that model too. Apparently there were only 5311 of these 1st models made between 1898 and 1902 and they were numbered from 1 to 5311. As far as value goes I've no real idea but I'm sure others here will enlighten you in that respect. Nice old K frame S&W. Thanks for sharing.
John

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I was beat to the draw! Two caveats, the 1898 typo and the possibility we are viewing a Spanish copy. Orbea Bros. in particular made some near counterfeits that prompted the bold "MADE IN THE U.S.A." and later reinforced the message in Spanish.

The condition would have to be precisely determined to set a value, I'd guess a few hundred, maybe? A Spanish copy near zip?

I can't push the magnification enough to satisfy myself. Also any other inscription e,g, patent info?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate both ya'lls feedback. There are no other markings on the pistol. I might head over to the local bookstore and browse the books for other details. If it is an Orbea that makes it a keeper for me. I ride one of their road bikes! Thanks again

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
An S&W should at least have patent dates. An Orbea has a highly stylized O and H overlaid (Hermanos Orbea) and I believe Trade Mark in English organized around it in proportions and size virtually identical to S&W's. The U.S. finally began requiring country of origin marking in English. I can't tell what year that began.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Thanks for catching my date typo Waidmann. I saw this thread just before I was heading out the door to a graduation party for a friends daughter and so only took a quick look in the SCSW before posting. Also assumed it to be a S&W and forgot all about the possibility of it being a copy. :oops: My bad!
I don't believe there are a lot of markings on early S&W hand ejectors, just the cartridge designation on the left side of the barrel and the S&W trademark on the side plate. There may not be any patent dates though. My own 1905 32-20, 4th change has only the cartridge stamp, small S&W logo on the left side and the "Made in USA" stamp on the right side of the frame just above the front of the trigger guard. Anyone know when the Made in USA stamping was started? There is also a "REG US Pat OFF" stamp on the hammer, behind the thumb piece, but no dates.
It would be nice to see close ups of the stocks and side stamps. Sure hope it is on original Smith and not a copy.
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The patina of age on the finish hid some info from me. But last night under a lamp in a dark room (with reading glasses on) I found additional stamps. There are two lines of stamped info on the top edge of the barrel. It starts with "Smith & Wesson Springfield....etc"followed by 7 patent dates from July 1, 84 to Oct 4, 98. On each side of the stamping is a symbol similar to >-X-<. I believe this is a first edition hand ejector. There are also matching serial number stamps on the cylinder and bottom edge of barrel. There is also a 41 stamped into the frame just above where the cylinder yoke attaches. I may still act 15 years old but my eyes sure don't! Let me know if you may still benefit from higher def pics, but I feel like we about got this nailed to 1899 or so. Some of these were called Army Navy or some such. Does S&W still sell histories? If so I may call 'em. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
With maltese crosses and patent dates I believe you are on solid ground. Only the first model M&P and its predecessor .32 HE (I-frame) had unsupported rods. Brief history, shipping date and receiver for $50. Surf up Roy Jinks at S&W. The Colt New Army and Navy followed by the Army Special (later Official Police) competed with the Military & Police. Specific guns were sold to various military organizations and were marked as U.S. Property.

Made in USA started about 1921/22.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sparky!

One additional point re: identity, I noted earlier on, though didn't post, the pinned barrel -- a S&W standard manufacturing practice on its hand ejectors for many, many decades. I'm not aware of any copies that would have sported a pinned barrel, tho I'm hardly an expert on S&W knockoffs. Neat old arm!

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts