Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I would appreciate help dating a revolver (38 S&W Special CTG) I received after my grandfather's death. I would also appreciate help identifying the name/model.

6 shot, 4" barrel, wood grip. Serial number is S8641**. Number on the inner frame is Y34638.

Two photographs included.

On an unrelated note, there is some rust on the top of the barrel, the top strap, and front sight. It appears mostly superficial to me. I have no experience in cleaning/restoring something like that though. Suggestions on the best way to attempt to clean it off?

Thank you ahead of time for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your revolver is known as the 38 Military & Police model and was made in 1947-1948 I'd guess. I don't have my reference handy but that should be pretty close. After a few changes to the gun and when model numbers were introduced in 1958, it became known as the model 10. Your revolver is in amazingly nice shape for a roughly 75 year old gun. Light surface rust can be removed by lightly rubbing with oiled copper wool, like Chore boy, but make sure it is 100% copper and not copper plated steel. It come both ways

·
Premium Member
21,705 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! You can make a gun cleaner, lubricant and protectant called Ed's Red Gun Bore Cleaner by mixing equal parts of auto transmission fluid, acetone, kerosene and mineral oil. Take off the grips and soak the entire gun in this solution for a few days, then wipe off the surface rust with cotton or microfiber cloths. Spray the entire gun with aerosol carb/parts/brake cleaner including flushing the action until the effluent runs clear. Then, lubricate the gun with Ed's Red and lightly wipe the outside of the gun with an oily cloth. That should prevent it from rusting.

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
You've got what the S&W catalog calls the Postwar S Serial Range. They ran btw S811120 and S999999 (1945-1948). Your s/n prob shipped in Dec 1946 or Jan 1947. The closest I have to yours is S818735. It shipped 8/1946 and has the original stocks.

Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

Your stocks look like they might be original as well.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Brown Outerwear Wood Dress shirt Textile

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. I am very happy to know more about something of my grandfather's that I can hold on to. I will try the cleaning suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts