Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife traded her 642 Airweight for this Model 36. She decided that an old blued steel gun was nicer...and I have to agree! I've checked a number of threads about the serial numbers but haven't found anything on the serial format of this particular pistol. Serial number is 3J7XX. I'd greatly appreciate your help identifying the year of manufacture and any other info about this gun.

photo (4).JPG photo (3).JPG photo (2).JPG photo (1).JPG photo.JPG

Thanks!

Gastrok

PS - this is my first post.:D

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

Is that 3J7XX the number on the butt of the grip frame under the Pachmayr grips ?

I am having trouble finding this sequence.

Having a pinned barrel makes it pre 1982.

Regards,

FlaRon weiweinp

Reactions: Gastrok

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

Is that 3J7XX the number on the butt of the grip frame under the Pachmayr grips ?

I am having trouble finding this sequence.

Having a pinned barrel makes it pre 1982.

Regards,

FlaRon weiweinp
Thanks for the response!

Yes, the serial is under the grips on the butt of the frame. I can post pictures of it if necessary.

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
About the best we can do is that it is after 1983. Is it a Model 36 or a 36- something?

I take that back. You have a pinned barrel which ended in 1982. It should be a 36-1

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Thanks for the response!

Yes, the serial is under the grips on the butt of the frame. I can post pictures of it if necessary.
Post a photo if that is possible just to make sure we are not misreading that 3 or J.

The yoke shows a Model 36 no dash and it has the new thumb piece which would date it sometime between 1966 and 1967 when the 36-1 was introduced if I am reading all this correctly from the photos.

Regards,

FlaRon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's stamped MOD. 36 on the frame, and there is a number on the crane as well: 60428

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Post a photo if that is possible just to make sure we are not misreading that 3 or J.

The yoke shows a Model 36 no dash and it has the new thumb piece which would date it sometime between 1966 and 1967 when the 36-1 was introduced if I am reading all this correctly from the photos.

Regards,

FlaRon
Correct. No dash. It reads "MOD. 36"

How do I tell if the thumb piece is "new"?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The "post 1983" and "36-1" comments really surprised me, considering how many times the 1971-72 "floating j" serial numbers have been discussed. I believe there was also another "floating j" s/n series in 1982-83, but of course these were not pinned barrel models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts