Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been blessed with inheriting my father's .38 Special CTG that has been handed down to me, for which I'm very grateful. I believe it's a 4" when measured from the wheel to the muzzle end. The serial number is D383523 and has an additional number inside the wheel carriage, 44242. He purchased it new around 1960, or so (guessing??). I doubt it's had more than 100 rounds pass through it, and is in pristine condition. I've no desire to part with it but would like to know what its value might be. Any helpful input is appreciated. Thank you, Is 41:13

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Pictures help, but it's quite likely it's a Model 10. If adjustable sights a model 15.

The model number should be in the yoke area stamped on the frame near the manufacturing 44242 number (internal use by the factory). The Serial is the D383523 number on the heel of the frame.

Treasure it, regardless of the financial value.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
a D series serial number puts it in post 1968 widow - that one, 1971/72.

as mreick indicated, there should be a model mumber near the frame when you open the cylnder, something like MOD 10-5

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you also have the original box? That can add a bit to value. Either way, dads old 38 Special is worth in the $500 neighborhood if pristine with original grips, and maybe $550 with original box. Prices do vary somewhat from region to region

·
Registered
22,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pics of the revolver you inherited from your dad. Would also help answer more questions you may have. Enjoy it and pass it on.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Priceless mate, welcome and shoot it in good health..

Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
More than likely it shipped in 1971.

My D3661xx shipped in 5/71. It is a 10-5

My D4169xx shipped 11/71. It is a Model 12-2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts