Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad had someone break into his house, my dad shot the guy with his .38 that he inherited from my Grandpa. The guy was caught went to jail. This was approximately 4 years ago and I was just today able to get the police to release the revolver to me from their evidence locker.

Ive attached pictures, just want help confirming what I think I've found regarding this model on this forum.

Looks like it's a K Frame, square butt.
I need to order some new grips as these mysteriously ended up broken while in evidence.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Premium Member
Pre-10 snub.

You can stabilize the active rusting by using well oiled 0000 steel wool on a well oiled blued surface. Rub gently, and use enough oil and it will remove the red iron oxide and leave the finish undamaged.

Remove the grips. Try and find some original model 10 grips from the period. It's a nice and desirable snub.

The damage is the responsibility of the agency that stored it improperly. There is no excuse for returning a damaged firearm to you. Your post is a good reminder of why you should not use a collectible firearm for self defense... There are plenty of new ones out there that won't depreciate so much after the police destroy them.

Premium Member
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, it's a 38 M&P snub, K frame square butt from 1950. Is your dad still alive? Maybe if so he remembers the original grips. They would have been Sharp shouldered Diamond Magnas. You may be able to find some, but expect them to be pricey.

Guy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C series pre Model 10 (M&P) Late 1940's.

Better do something quick about that rust. 馃槷
Pre-10 snub.

You can stabilize the active rusting by using well oiled 0000 steel wool on a well oiled blued surface. Rub gently, and use enough oil and it will remove the red iron oxide and leave the finish undamaged.

Remove the grips. Try and find some original model 10 grips from the period. It's a nice and desirable snub.

The damage is the responsibility of the agency that stored it improperly. There is no excuse for returning a damaged firearm to you. Your post is a good reminder of why you should not use a collectible firearm for self defense... There are plenty of new ones out there that won't depreciate so much after the police destroy them.
Okay, so is the technical name "Pre-Model 10 .38"? or what do I need to search when looking for grips? K Frame square butt? Just want to make sure I get some that will fit properly.

My plan was to pick up some of that steel wool on the way home. Literally just picked it up on my lunch break today lol. Yeah, I mentioned something to the Sgt who released it to me about the quality of it and he basically blew me off. At this point, I'm just glad to have it back in the family.

Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, it's a 38 M&P snub, K frame square butt from 1950. Is your dad still alive? Maybe if so he remembers the original grips. They would have been Sharp shouldered Diamond Magnas. You may be able to find some, but expect them to be pricey.

Guy
He is still alive, but he said these grips are what was on it when he received it from my Gpa, and since he's had it for over 30 years he has no idea where they'd be unfortunately.

Way to go, Grandpa!

That old revolver really earned its keep!

I hope Grandpa was not hurt, physically or psychologically from the shooting.
He's okay now, this was about 4 years ago. There were two burglars, one hit him a couple times with a bat before my dad pulled the gun out and shot the other one. The one with the bat was picked up by PD a couple blocks away. They're both still in jail, so it ended up okay.

Premium Member
Similar to:

(Note - I have nothing to do with these sellers, and the last listing mentions a crack.)

Reactions: 45acp230

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When searching for grips you want to look for K frame, Square butt grips.
Perfect, thanks!

Similar to:

(Note - I have nothing to do with these sellers, and the last listing mentions a crack.)
Wow, thanks for taking the time to post these! I'll review them tonight and get some coming!

Thank you to everyone for all your help!!

Banned
Okay, so is the technical name "Pre-Model 10 .38"? or what do I need to search when looking for grips? K Frame square butt? Just want to make sure I get some that will fit properly.
No, the "pre" model number nomenclature is used by collectors. The technical name is 38 Military & Police (M&P)

My plan was to pick up some of that steel wool on the way home. Literally just picked it up on my lunch break today lol. Yeah, I mentioned something to the Sgt who released it to me about the quality of it and he basically blew me off. At this point, I'm just glad to have it back in the family.
I would suggest a minor modification to that plan. Don't use steel wool - it is too aggressive and likely to damage the remaining original finish. Use medium BRONZE wool - you can get it at Ace hardware stores. Before even starting on it with the bronze wool take the grips off and put the whole gun into a peanut butter jar filled with a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and acetone. Let it soak for a couple of weeks. Shake it up every couple of days to keep the ATF & acetone mixed (they will separate).

He is still alive, but he said these grips are what was on it when he received it from my Gpa, and since he's had it for over 30 years he has no idea where they'd be unfortunately.
The grips that are on it look like an old set of Franzite (plastic) targets. Very inexpensive grips when new and not worth much today, even in pristine condition. Not a major loss other than the sentimental value because they are what was on it when they used it.

He's okay now, this was about 4 years ago. There were two burglars, one hit him a couple times with a bat before my dad pulled the gun out and shot the other one. The one with the bat was picked up by PD a couple blocks away. They're both still in jail, so it ended up okay.
Good for him! Love happy endings where the bad guys get what they have coming to them, and the good guys prevail!

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: 45acp230

Registered
first be happy you got the gun back and in not "too" bad of shape, a friend of mine got his back form a similar satiation, it was stored in the damp basement of the PD in a foam lined plastic case for 6 years, it turned into a ball of rust. as for the stocks any k frame square butt will fit, there are a lot to choose from

Registered
Pre-10 snub.

Use 0000 bronze wool. Use a synthetic lubricant like Break Free CLP. Let it soak for a while before using bronze wool. Repeat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts