1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three M&P models that I would like to be assisted with if you have time:
All are 38 special
All sights are fixed.

S/N C343xxx, 38 special, seems to be from 1950s based on serial number.

S/N 720xx, 38 special

S/N 903xx, 38 special

Thank you all for your time!
-JV

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I dont have my reference handy but can tell you the first one, C343xxx is not too far from one I own which is SN C341xxx and was likely shipped in 1955. The other 2 are older

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! As Jonesy says, the first one is a .38 M&P, Pre-Model 10 from around 1955. The second is a .38 M&P, Model 1902 from around 1906, the 3rd is a .38 M&P, Model 1905, square butt from around 1907. The last two are caliber stamped for the .38 S&W Special and U.S. Service CTG. The US Service CTG at the time was the .38 Long Colt which S&W created the .38 Special from to replace it as the official cartridge. In 1909, the US selected the .45 ACP as the official cartridge and S&W dropped the term "US Service CTG" from its M&P caliber stamp.

·
Registered
26,486 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Some nice older revolvers....did you just acquire them?

Reactions: jhv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. Some nice older revolvers....did you just acquire them?
Thank you for all of the responses! Yes, we did just aquire them from a deceased relative. Any idea on values?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! As Jonesy says, the first one is a .38 M&P, Pre-Model 10 from around 1955. The second is a .38 M&P, Model 1902 from around 1906, the 3rd is a .38 M&P, Model 1905, square butt from around 1907. The last two are caliber stamped for the .38 S&W Special and U.S. Service CTG. The US Service CTG at the time was the .38 Long Colt which S&W created the .38 Special from to replace it as the official cartridge. In 1909, the US selected the .45 ACP as the official cartridge and S&W dropped the term "US Service CTG" from its M&P caliber stamp.
Thank you for your detailed response, and for your detailed intro to the forum! Any idea on values?

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
Any idea on values?
The S&W .38 M&P is the one of worlds most produced, if not THE most produced, handgun with about 7 million made since 1899. So, they aren't rare. Also, their condition is pretty poor and condition is a leading driver of value, along with rarity. Just from their appearance alone, I would not recommend shooting one until it has been checked out as safe by a gunsmith. I'd put them in the $200+/- range if they check out as safe. The Model 1905 might bring a little more because the grips on it aren't seen as often as the hard rubber ones in that era. Also, the Model 1902's action is obsolete and if anything inside breaks, it will likely have to be fabricated by a gunsmith or machinist. Sorry for being a Debby Downer. :cautious: On the bright side, if they check out, they'll bring a smile to your face at the range. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The S&W .38 M&P is the one of worlds most produced, if not THE most produced, handgun with about 7 million made since 1899. So, they aren't rare. Also, their condition is pretty poor and condition is a leading driver of value, along with rarity. Just from their appearance alone, I would not recommend shooting one until it has been checked out as safe by a gunsmith. I'd put them in the $200+/- range if they check out as safe. The Model 1905 might bring a little more because the grips on it aren't seen as often as the hard rubber ones in that era. Also, the Model 1902's action is obsolete and if anything inside breaks, it will likely have to be fabricated by a gunsmith or machinist. Sorry for being a Debby Downer. :cautious: On the bright side, if they check out, they'll bring a smile to your face at the range. :)
This is great information. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
34,225 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts