Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all from the mountains of east Tennessee. New to S&W but not new to revolvers, bought my first one in 1959, yes I am a old coot, it was a cap & ball Colt 1860 Army reproduction, still have it and still enjoy shooting it. Spent a good part of the 60's working for Uncle Sam carrying a 1911, after that got married and got into other hobbies. Have bought a few semi autos over the years, but never had the love that I have for revolvers. Opportunity came up to buy a police trade in 642 J-Frame at a great price, well I bought it and I am very impressed. First it looks like it not been shot more that five or six times, no scratches or holster marks, trigger is smooth but HEAVY, am going to get a trigger spring kit to reduce the pull. I look forward to becoming a regular member and being able to learn about S&W revolvers from all of the knowledge the members have.

·
Registered
21,022 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from NW Pennsylvania!:cool:

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
welcome01 to the forum.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
16,949 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Hey 42,

Welcome to S&W.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
Welcome from Texas!

Love those triggers on Smith revolvers. Got my first taste on a nickel 586, and there has been no going back!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Hi Panther42,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often. welcome01

·
Premium Member
10,392 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your S&W 642 revolver. As they say, better late than never...

I believe that the gun is designed intentionally with the trigger you have. It's different than the Colt double action pull that you may be used to.

On a very small self defense revolver like this one (not a target gun, by any means) it's important to have that level of trigger pull for safety reasons.

That said, I have seen experienced S&W revolver gunsmiths from the factory give this gun a "trigger job" by trimming a coil off the trigger rebound spring.

I think you can have more impact by simply carefully flat polishing the rebound spring cage's surfaces and where they contact the frame and side plate.

If it's an older gun, it will probably benefit from a good cleaning and proper lubrication as well.

Marc

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts