Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

New member. Just inherited 2 revolvers from my father. Looking for info. 1) 44 S&W special serial number 22274. Inside cylinder is a W and under it is a 60 524....2) 38 special snub nose pearl grip serial #252744. No model # or name elsewhere....Thoughts?

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
the 44 is a 44 Hand Ejector. 2nd Model , made 1915-1940, SN range is 153xx thru 59xxx with about 17K made. Those are 1920's factory grips and the sn 22000 is indicated as 1925

the 38 Safety Hammerless 5th model - should be 38 S&W (not 38 special) was made 1907 - 1940 with some 40K made in range 220000 - 261493 so yours is later in the range, probably from the 1930's

one question is whether the barrel length on the .38 is factory or not. There were some reported in your SN range - if factory letter verifies it, adds quite a premium to the gun..

couple nice guns - the 44 is always a favorite with S&W guys - and that 38 looks sweet, factory barrel or not !

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice inheritance...something to enjoy and pass on. Any history on the revolvers?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice inheritance...something to enjoy and pass on. Any history on the revolvers?
Not really any history other than one was my fathers and one was my grandfathers. I also inherited an Iver Johnson .32 my dads uncle shot himself with after my grandmother pissed him off if that counts as history... 馃槀馃槀馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔 The 2 S&W revolvers were bought new from what I understand in Giles county Va and McDowell county WVa which is where my family is from. However I do know the 44 was my grandads but his father worked as a detective for Baldwin-Felts so it could have been his at some point if the bought new story isn鈥檛 accurate....馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Welcome to the forum and that is a pair of excellent heirlooms.

Reactions: blazermark

Registered
Hi J12saint,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

Registered
I鈥檓 new here too. If you can carefully take off your grips and look for engravings inside you might find additional hints. The grips for my 1905 M&P 3rd Change are on another forum member鈥檚 revolver located half the country away and my 鈥渇amily owned鈥 revolver has a complete stranger鈥檚 name carved inside the grip. A mystery I鈥檒l probably never solve.

Registered
congratulations mate...

Thewelshm

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I鈥檓 new here too. If you can carefully take off your grips and look for engravings inside you might find additional hints. The grips for my 1905 M&P 3rd Change are on another forum member鈥檚 revolver located half the country away and my 鈥渇amily owned鈥 revolver has a complete stranger鈥檚 name carved inside the grip. A mystery I鈥檒l probably never solve.
馃槼

Registered
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

Registered
I'd invest in a Letter of Authenticity from the S&W Historical Foundation on that .38 snubby. Seems most of the original ones went to W Va coal country so you're already one up. All I've seen are pretty beat and yours is high condition.
Here's the link- if it's original, it might be the best $100 you ever spent.

Process for Ordering SWHF Letters

Whatever your dad and granddad have done to keep that revolver in great shape, keep doing it!

Reactions: Curt360
1 - 16 of 16 Posts