Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I found this forum while trying to figure out the age of a 6" Model 17-4. The serial number is 33Kxxxx - four numbers follow the K. I saw in some of the previous posts a chart that said serial number of Kxxxx were made in 1947; however, my serial number starts with a 33 before the K.

I appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
21,846 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your Model 17-4 was made in the 1978-79 time frame. When it was first introduced after WWII in 1946, it was known as the K-22 Masterpiece. It was one of three nearly identical target revolvers chambered for .22 Long Rifle, .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W Special. It is considered to be the premiere target revolver. Congratulations on owning one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent! It is nearly as old as I am. It is almost identical to a Model 14 I have that was my grandpa's. Both have 6" barrel, but the 14 has the target trigger and hammer.

Thank you for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
21,846 Posts
The Model 14, Model 16 and Model 17 are the 3 Masterpiece target revolvers I mentioned before. They were designed to be so similar that a shooter couldn't tell which one was in hand. Takes away a lot of variables during competition.

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
The Model 14, Model 16 and Model 17 are the 3 Masterpiece target revolvers I mentioned before. They were designed to be so similar that a shooter couldn't tell which one was in hand. Takes away a lot of variables during competition.
That is true, until you fire the first shot. Then, the weights change. It was a good concept and lots of folks bought the myth.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts