Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Bought my first gun (M&P 9mm) a few years ago. Don’t shoot as often as I would like (life and circumstances) but really enjoy it when I do. Recently my 34 year old (learning challenged) son has shown interest in learning EVERYTHING about guns.. from history, to the why’s and how’s, and then to shooting. Luckily we have a few small gun shops near us that have been a great help! I believe learning is a never ending process, and the best teachers are those with first hand experience. Looking forward to learning all that we can from those who know!

·
Premium Member
10,380 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Consider attending a NRA Basic Pistol class with your son. It will be fun for both of you, and you'll learn both safety and improve your shooting experience.

The shooting sports are much like others. You have to do some training in order to see results - but unlike many sports the safety aspects of the shooting sports require regular training and study.

Many of the new gun owners (there are millions in the past few months) think that just by buying a gun they will be protected, but that's anything but true. Often people "study" with friends or family that just pass on their own habits. The NRA courses I teach as well as the concealed carry curriculum I've develped for our state permits are much more in depth and based on quite a bit of research and experience.

So, especially with a son that is interested in firearms, be sure to seek adequate training, and get out and shoot often.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle, Ma'am.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Howdy!

Good choice. An Austin, Texas PD sergeant shot a domestic terrorist at 100 yards holding two horses at night. Luck or superb shooting, it is a good pistol. The guy he shot had an AK47 shooting up the exterior of the police station. He shot up a Federal Courthouse before the police station.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mrerick, I was thinking more of private one on one lessons for him? (I have taken the NRA classes and did one on one shooting with my instructor but I think he would benefit from some in depth teaching, and definitely not from his mom..ha.). Right now he has my books, and is asking a lot of questions and I can only answer what I know. He’s a lot like me when it comes to basic knowledge...it’s never enough. Any recommendations on books or videos covering firearms, ammo etc? This is going to be a multi step process for sure!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Big mama,

I can only recommend monthly magazines.

Personally, I like "Guns and Ammo".

Many of the writers, hmmm, maybe most, are ex-military.

Oftentimes, with different gun publications, you can get the first magazine free with a no cost, easily cancelled subscription if it's not to your taste.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
10,380 Posts
mrerick, I was thinking more of private one on one lessons for him? (I have taken the NRA classes and did one on one shooting with my instructor but I think he would benefit from some in depth teaching, and definitely not from his mom..ha.). Right now he has my books, and is asking a lot of questions and I can only answer what I know. He’s a lot like me when it comes to basic knowledge...it’s never enough. Any recommendations on books or videos covering firearms, ammo etc? This is going to be a multi step process for sure!
Excellent. The right instructor team can provide coaching even in a small group class. My team does one instructor on every two students. We're in North Carolina.

Actually the book that comes with NRA Basic Pistol is a good introduction to proper safety and introductory marksmanship.

Talk with a instructor about private coaching. If you get any stumping questions, try me on the forum - I'll try and answer what I can... Marc

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hello Big mama and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!! Enjoy!!!

Reactions: Big mama

·
Premium Member
18,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass!

Guy

Reactions: Big mama
1 - 20 of 21 Posts