Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Justin i'm from southern california. I grew up in Boston and moved to California when I was 19 which was 11 years ago.
I grew up as an avid camper like most kids but no one in my family or my families circle of friends were gun owners. I have wanted one my whole life and just today I purchased my first gun a M&P 15-22. I have 3 young boys ages 6,5 and 3 who love to camp. We go to Joshua Tree and Big Bear a few times a year and they love it.

I will admit my path towards buying a gun basically started by watching survival shows. I always had an interest in things like that but never took it up as a hobby until 3-4 years ago. Since then my kids and I have started plenty of fires with char cloth and parabolic lenses and even a fire with sticks one time in Big Bear. Over the last year or so I really decided that I wanted to take up shooting and hunting as a hobby. I was getting tired of the same ol' backyard stuff so now i'm trying to expand my horizons a little bit. I purchased an NRA membership recently because of all the craziness going on with gun control laws right now I can appreciate even more what it is they are trying to do. I am hoping to move to a more conservative state in the next few years but for now i'm stuck in CA.

Anyways I am a total rookie when it comes to guns and I know very little. I was nervous when buying the gun because I was afraid the clerks would talk to me like a moron but honestly I have been amazed at just how awesome "gun people" really are. The employees and customers at the Bass Pro Shop I went to were so helpful it blew my mind. They never made me feel stupid or made me feel bad for being totally ignorant in regards to almost everything. Every time I ask a question to gun owners online I always get positive, courteous responses I really must say I am glad to be joining such a higher class of Americans!

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. fognbov

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Welcome from another So. Cal resident! Glad you joined us, enjoy your new m&p!:)
Mike

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Hi Justin617,

A warm welcome to the forum. :grin:

Visit often, it is good to see you. welcome01

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hello and welcome from east ky!!!

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. I believe you will also find the folks here very friendly and helpful.

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Justin,
Welcome to the forum from Idaho.
My 1st born is named Justin. I hope you enjoy the M&P 15-22 with your children as they grow up and into some shooting sports.
Congratulations on a really great 22 rifle. I hope that you can find a good supply of ammo for it. That may prove more difficult than finding your rifle.
15-22's are a little like Lays potato chips. Once you've tried the first one you just can't stop.

I hope to see you around. We'll be happy to help answer any questions you may have on your new journey.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Super Moderator
33,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

·
Premium Member
19,151 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Registered
442 Posts
welcome to t he forum

·
Super Moderator
11,056 Posts
Great introduction.

Welcome to the forum from NH. Glad to know you.

I think oh will see more and more that gun folks are some if the most friendly and giving people you will ever meet. You will run in to a grumpy old stooge every now and then but even they will have some redeeming qualities. Namely their guns. :D

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Justin! This is to my mind the finest bunch of friendly folks to get to know. They are immensely knowlegeable, happy to share what they know (and in my case what I THINK I know)... Not sure what part of SoCal you're in, but I've spent a lot of time in the Santa Ana area. Several good gun stores in the area, and On Target is an excellent indoor range. Suggest you get on Meetup.org, and search for "target shooting". There are a couple of groups in that area that meet semi-regularly. I found them to be incredibly helpful and welcoming of new folks. Have fun!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts