Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I’m in the know about the weapons I carry on duty, but I picked up a sad little friend at my local gun shop. Not in the greatest of shape, it looks like it could tell a story or two. The shop owner said he was helping an elderly lady get rid of some of her husbands “treasures” after he passed. I’m sure I overpaid—I’m not worried about that, I just wanted to give it a good home, even if it’s just as a display piece on my desk.
It’s stamped S&W Special US Service CTG in the left side of the barrel.
It does have a fifth screw in front of the trigger guard. Rounded butt. Serial number is 724XX
Any idea on age or model number? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Someone will be along to give you info on the age of that old timer.. What intrigues me is the 6 notches in the frame in front of the trigger guard.
I'll bet that gun could tell some stories.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Welcome from Iowa. You have a Military and Police revolver from 1906. This became the Model 10 in 1957 and is still made. There have been a Grillion of them produced.:cool: The screw in frone of the tyrigger guard is actually the fourth screw. The fifth is on the right side at the top of the frame. It is probably safe to shoot but only with standard velocity ammo.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Hey Miss L,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!! Pics of a great piece of Ameri/S&W/cana.....on your first post!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
The U.S. Service Cartridge is that day was the .38 Long Colt which is the parent of and slightly shorter than the .38 S&W Special. That status ended in 1909. S&W would not put the Colt's name on their guns. Similarly Colt's called their versions of S&W chamberings Police or New Police. Without a department marking you would have to gamble $100 to find out where it was initially delivered and the odds are against a favorable answer (direct delivery to a department. If all else is okay (timing, lock-up...) cast lead bullets of standard velocity are recommended. Ask your armorer if their are any .38 Wadcutters still lying about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The U.S. Service Cartridge is that day was the .38 Long Colt which is the parent of and slightly shorter than the .38 S&W Special. That status ended in 1909. S&W would not put the Colt's name on their guns. Similarly Colt's called their versions of S&W chamberings Police or New Police. Without a department marking you would have to gamble $100 to find out where it was initially delivered and the odds are against a favorable answer (direct delivery to a department. If all else is okay (timing, lock-up...) cast lead bullets of standard velocity are recommended. Ask your armorer if their are any .38 Wadcutters still lying about.
Since there is so much wear and it may be difficult to see, where would I look for a department marking?

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service to our citizens and nation.

This revolver looks very dry, as if it has not seen lubrication since the Hoover administration. Assuming it's not plated (but started out blued) it would probably be wise to start by removing the grips carefully, and spraying it with penetrating gun preservative oil, or soaking the metal in an appropriate clean and lubrication chemical.

If the dark places are the result of oxidation, it may be possible to improve things, but probably not by much.

·
Premium Member
12,030 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Greetings, welcome and thank you for your service.

Thewelshm

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Departmental marks, rack numbers and the like on S&Ws generally are on the backstrap or on the sides above the trigger. They tend to be obvious. In some cases only badge or rack numbers were hand stamped. In this era it would be more likely the officer would supply his own service weapon.

·
Registered
20,260 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That is a great old part of history with a ton of character and tales. Good oil bath and check condition of bore. Can have your armorer check lock up and timing and will be a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
27,917 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from NW Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Hi Legion,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts