Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a few S&W revolvers like the 642, 640PD, 19-4, etc. But I've never owned a pistol - until now.

The current rebate deal made me jump off the Glock Fanboy Express and pick up a Shield 9mm. I liked it so much I just ordered a second one! My GLOCK43 is now listed on GunBroker :eek: Don't get me wrong - the 43 is a great gun - but the Shield fits my hand better, is just as accurate, and appears to be as reliable. The extra few ounces don't bother me a bit, and probably adds to the great handling/shooting characteristics. I'm now waiting on a holster, XS Sights, mag holder, etc.

So far I've put about 120 rounds through the gun and it has run flawlessly. It just comes out of the holster (using one of my Glock26's until the real one arrives) and points naturally. The 43 for me, just didn't have enough to hold onto firmly - even with the grip extensions.

So, I'm here to learn and feed my addiction! Is the Shield 45 my next purchase?:D

·
Premium Member
11,433 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You picked a nice pistol to start with.

:bluelogo: welcome01 :bluelogo:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tex! I'm really enjoying the Shield and am anxious to get the accessories like XS Sights. I swear this small gun has similar perceived recoil FOR ME to my GLOCK19.:eek:

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the friendly forum from SE Arizona. You made a good choice, although I prefer revolvers a good 9mm is an exception. I don't like Glocks for a number of reasons including they fit my hand like a 2x4 & are priced as high as Sig Sauers. I think your new Shield will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
welcome_16.gif
TO THE FORUM
veprjack

·
Registered
6,178 Posts

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
6,178 Posts

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Welcome to the forum form another spot in Texas - there's more'n a few around! :)

Just bought MsDis a Shield 2.0 in 9mm based on reviews. She couldn't handle the lonnnggg trigger pull on an LCP, and nothing else I have in inventory would make a decent EDC for her. I have a 3-yr old Shield in .40 that is just fine for me. So the 2.0 with its better trigger and other improvements sounded just right. Will be picking it up in a few days, and will provide a range report. The S&W rebaste and the Cabela's discount sold the deal.

Went to the Cabela's - a good 70 mile drive one way, only to find long lines at the gun counter, just 2 guys leisurely working it. We bailed and ordered it online. Not cool.

Pull up a stump and set a spell! Tell us about yourself and your fancy in S&Ws! You'll have some eager ears 'round here. ALso a lot of very friendly and knowledgeable folks if you have questions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's nice to have Arizonans welcome me. I bought land up north of St. Johns and will be moving there in a year or two. After a lot of business trips to the Phoenix area and vacations in Sedona/Grand Canyon, I decided to retire there. My friends in Tempe and Glendale helped me find some acreage and I couldn't be more excited to get out there and hunt/hike/IDPA, etc.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to my new friends from Texas and the warm welcome from everyone. Although I chose AZ to retire in, TX was on my short list. I've spend a lot of time over the years in the Dallas and Houston areas. And, in spite of the fact that we're known for historic sites out this way, visiting the Alamo made me weep in public!! My uncle lived in Houston for years when I was very young. He'd call me and his friends would make "cattle noises" in the background. Like most kids growing up in the 50s, Texas was THE place. Horses, cowboys and guns - that was heaven! With luck, when I get to AZ, I'll make the trip over for hog hunting, etc.

S&W always represented the very best in revolver to me, and still does. But, being a GLOCK fanboy, their pistols always looked clunky to me. The perceived reliability of GLOCKS precluded any thoughts of switching. Well, that's no longer true for many of us. And the rebate is drawing us over the fence to take a look :) With two Shield 9s in my inventory, can the .45 be far behind? Maybe I'll get one with the proceeds from the sale of my G43? Stay tuned.

My passions are hiking, reading, psychology (I'm a therapist) and SHOOTING! I've done IDPA and SASS for competitions. I haven't hunted in years, but will get back into it once I'm out west. My property borders 1200 acres of State Land Trust so I'll be able to walk out my back door and hunt Javalina, Jacks and whatever else is in season.

Thanks again for the welcome!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts