Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like advice about purchasing a couple of new pistols, one for home defense and another for CCW, I'm considering the Sheild in either the 40S&W or 9mm as a CCW, and a choice between the M&P and the SD40 or 9mm full size.Having never owned a 9mm and having had several 40's over the last 25 years,I've been reading many posts that stress that the 9mm is more than enough and the ammo is much less expensive,while that would be a factor for me I wouldn't want to sacrifice any advantage if I ever had to defend myself or a loved one.I would be very thankful for any information to help me make a more informed decision.

·
Super Moderator
19,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Idaho. I'm glad you joined and hope you stick around for some good discussions.

This is my opinion, and just one of many you'll hear on this subject from the other members here.

The M&P Shield is a brand new pistol for S&W. Their build history would lead me to avoid it for at least the first year of production if you plan to use it as a defensive weapon. Let them get the bugs out of it first. The Bodyguard 38 and 380 are perfect examples of their build history.

If you want it for range practice, or just some fun semi-auto plinking fun, I wouldn't hesitate much. If something bugs out on it, you'll be able to send it in for service without giving up your protective piece.

I have an M&P 40 full size and I truly enjoy shooting it. I also have a Walther PPS 9mm. They're two pistols I can give a solid opinion and testimony on, for their reliability and capability at the range.

For a top quality CCW piece I'd be looking for something with a known history of good service like the Walther PPS in either 9mm or .40 S&W, or possibly on of the older 3rd generation S&W pistols. You might also consider a Springfield XD 9 or .40 in compact frames.

Don't get me wrong, S&W M&P pistols are outstanding, but anything new on the line is bound to have growing paings from the start.
If you go with 9mm be sure your pistol can handle a full house load. I prefer to use either Speer Gold Dots or Hornady's Critical Defense in a 124 grain bullet for my 9mm, and a 155 grain for my .40 S&W. Federal Hydro-Shock ammo is impressive too, but sometimes harder to find than the others.

I wish you well in your quest for the perfect pistol to suit your needs.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. 9mm vs .40 is an old, on-going discussion that will likely never be settled. As always shot placement is more important than caliber and good ammo w/ good bullets are a requirement for self-defense. 9mm ammo is cheaper to buy than .40 & a very good round but the .40 is more powerful... smaller easier to carry guns are available in 9mm, etc, etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
welcome01

Reactions: td4man

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I'm quite comfortable w my SA XD sc 9mm as a carry or house gun .
Even though it's a sub compact it is a bit chunky since it is a double stack .
That makes it good in hand , but a bit larger on the waist than I would like .
I use the 13 rd mag for carry , the 16 rd mag for range use since it is a bit more controllable .

But to be honest my S&W 1911 .45 ACP is my preferred house gun .
8+1 , but very , very accurate and I'm pretty sure that it'll do the job if need be . :p

There are so many variables here .
Quick access to other weapons ?
How safe the home neighborhood is in general .
The typical carry environment .
Budget .
Etc

Since the primary objectives as stated are home defense and carry , then cost of ammo def becomes secondary , w stopping power being a top factor .
Only if u will be doing a lot of range time would I consider ammo cost , thus perhaps a 9mm .

Regards ,
George

Reactions: td4man

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Another Arizona welcome.

I agree with Injunbro's mention of, bullet placement. To me, it's the number one consideration. If you shoot a 9mm better than you do a .40, that says a whole lot. On the other hand, if the reverse is true..................

Ammo cost is a real world factor......what you can shoot at the lowest cost, will facilitate pracitce........and practice is paramount to shooting ability (ie "bullet placement").

Personally, I'm an old timer and grew-up with the old rule of thumb that (all things being equal), generally larger calibers (bullet diameter and grain weight) have more stopping power than smaller calibers. I realize that today's bullet (projectile) and powder technologies have somewhat complicated/affect my simplified "rule of thumb". None-the-less, I still subscribe to that logic (within reason).

Best Regards,

Geezer

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. :37-36ls: :3953tsw:

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
welcome01 from "O Malley Land"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would highly suggest you read the piece by gear checker. The poly frame guns are not perfect and I recently had a full sized .40 SW M & P come apart after shooting a Remington UMC 180 gr. MC (FMJ) in it. Smith and I are discussing this matter at present although I think that since my experience I prefer an all-steel pistol. They will certainly be expensive but you have to ask yourself, "Just how much is my life worth?"

·
Registered
41 Posts
welcome01 from Nebraska.
Rod van Pelt

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina.............welcome01
I cannot disagree with any of the prior posts, everyone having a preference. For CCW I normally carry my little J frame but have also used a Walther PPK and, if I felt it appropriate, a Glock 23. This takes nothing away from the M&P line as I am a longtime S&W fan and I hope to own one someday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts