1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
48,716 Posts
Welcome from north Florida!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

Question #1: is there an area of the forum that contains reference articles and such?

My pistol came incomplete- no box or paperwork- and the first thing I’d want to do (like everyone else) is figure out the year of production. I think I kind of figured it out; my number is N67xxxx, and from reading other posts, I believe its a ‘79-80 range gun. I thought there might be a listing of numbers and years- it seems more senior members usually chime in to help, and I wouldn‘t want to be a bother asking if there’s a thread out there.

I‘d like to eventually collect age-specific paperwork and a presentation box for it. On the topic of presentation boxes, is there a thread talking about what style boxes go with what years guns? As I understand it, the 25-2 is an N-frame, with a 6 3/8” barrel. I know boxes will be specific to barrel lengths, but are they to the cylinder on the gun?

And one last rookie query- what sort of grips came on 25-2s from S&W? I believe the gun has the square butt, and the grips that are currently on the gun I don’t believe are stock; of course, I’d like to put the iconic target “coke” grips with the dimple on it when it arrives.

Anyway, thank you for any knowledge you can pass along!

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Hello Suprasonic and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Very nice revolver, thanks for sharing. Someone will be along soon to answer your questions.

· Registered
12,061 Posts
Hey S Man,

Wow! Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of a great M 25 2....right out the gate!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

· Super Moderator
16,036 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The closest thing to knowing when the factory produced a revolver (by serial number) is in a book called the "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson". Get the latest edition. Others here may have a copy they can look up your SN in, but it's worth having your own copy.

I think you will be impressed with your new revolver.

Reactions: jeepnut

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

· Banned
2,291 Posts
My pistol came incomplete- no box or paperwork- and the first thing I’d want to do (like everyone else) is figure out the year of production. I think I kind of figured it out; my number is N67xxxx, and from reading other posts, I believe its a ‘79-80 range gun. I thought there might be a listing of numbers and years- it seems more senior members usually chime in to help, and I wouldn‘t want to be a bother asking if there’s a thread out there.
You are correct. (y) The Bible says the N6xxxxx series serial numbers indicate 1979-1980 production. :)

· Registered
6,130 Posts
Nice firearm !!
Welcome from Northern Illinois..

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The grips S&W typically put on these guns were magnas. The target grips you show are not S&W and definitely not what was on it originally. Also, the front sight blade appears to have been changed...unless, of course, it was a special order. The only way to know that is to pay for a letter of authenticity from the S&W historian--> $100. Anyhow, you will love shooting that gun with .44 Special. Even one cylinder of .44 Magnum is tolerable...in moderation. I hope you have secured a supply of ammo as it is becoming hard to get.

I‘d like to eventually collect age-specific paperwork and a presentation box for it. On the topic of presentation boxes, is there a thread talking about what style boxes go with what years guns? As I understand it, the 25-2 is an N-frame, with a 6 3/8” barrel. I know boxes will be specific to barrel lengths, but are they to the cylinder on the gun?
Reference threads are sticky posts in the forum(s) to which they apply. However, there is not one on presentation boxes that discusses them in-depth. The M25-2 has a 6.5" barrel. This was the most prevalent configuration and most presentation boxes are made to accommodate them. S&W did make bigger boxes for their longer barreled guns. Here is one for an 8-3/8" barreled M25.

As far as the cylinder goes, the insert was made to accommodate them and inserts were specific to the guns they were intended to be used for. Some boxes just used foam for the bed and no insert. Hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.