Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just decided to join your forum for the education that it offers. I have been a S&W owner for about 35 years. That was the time I bought a S&W 686. Of course it is the no dash model. I had just got my FFL and decided to buy myself a present. Therefore I ordered a 8 3/8” barreled 686 with the red ramp front sight, white outlined rear sight, target hammer and trigger. My cost from North Texas Wholesale was a whopping $253.49 and the revolver was delivered 12/17/1985. I pretty much ruined the gun when I had it drilled and tapped for a scope mount. It is scoped with a Leupold M8-2X EER and is very accurate in my opinion. The revolver has seen very little use over the years.
My next S&W purchase was a model 29, Mod 29-5 with a 5” barrel. I bought it from a friend that told me that he had fired the revolver 3 times. I have yet to fire the gun. I am assuming that the revolver is a “Classic” since it has the words 29 Classic is on the right side of the barrel. All of the markings on the gun are a golden color and the trigger and hammer are case hardened. It has rubber grips with the S&W logo on them. I am thinking the 29 is about the same age as the 686. Since I didn’t purchase the gun new I do not have records for it.
Now, I also have in my possession a S&W 617 no dash. It has a 6” barrel and I think it is a triple “T” gun. The grips are wooden with finger groves and they also have the S&W logo on them. The gun is in really good condition and the best I can tell is that it is probably a early 1990’s production.
I plan to ask for help determining the age of the 29 and 617 by use of the forums.

Well, that’s about it for my introduction. I look forward gaining S&W knowledge from member's post.

PeteC

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. Sounds like you have some nice guns there. Please post pics as we do like looking at them all.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Welcome from Illinois!

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Hi PeteC,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Welcome back aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Super Moderator
14,019 Posts
Hello Pete, and welcome to the forum.

Good taste in revolves will get you everywhere here... 686, check! 29, check! 617 check!

We need the serial numbers in order to look up anything on age. The dash levels are somewhat helpful, but where records exist the serial ranges can be mapped to most ship dates.

You can alss (at some expense) get the guns "lettered" from S&W's original records. Depending on details of the "Classic" it might be worth it.

Good sharp detailed in focus well lit (natural shaded light) pictures will help also...

So, welcome! Jump right in, the water's fine.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Hello PeteC and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Enjoy!!!

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome Pete from SW Florida. You'll find this a great place to hang out and get informed.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Welcome from Kansas. It takes a while but you need to set some goals. Like one of each model in the i-frame, j-frame, k-frame, L-frame, N-frame, and X-frame. It’s fun studying the engineering changes among them. More fun for a range day with everything from .32 S&W Long to the 500 S&w Magnum!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts