Smith And Wesson Forums banner

901 - 920 of 929 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #901
I have not read this entire thread. Snubbyfan, I read the first and last post. Sounds like you made it where you wanted/needed to be! Congratulations!

Remember how hard it was to get there next time that food temptress shows up!

myself, today I achieved a small milestone. This past January I decided I wanted to be under 200 pounds by the 4th of July. Started with 5 minutes a day on the treadmill, 2 miles and hour. Now I do thirty minutes at 4.5 mph on the odd numbered days of the month. Even numbered days a 20 minutes routine with dumbells.

This morning the scale read...................199.8!!!

It can be done, I am 65 and if I lose 15 more pounds, I will be back to my high school weight.

Kevin
Good job! I remember how great it felt to finally get under 200 pounds.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
I'll start by saying that I like it hot out, helps my faulty motor nerves fire, when it gets above body temperature, I feel great.
There were lotsa cars parked at the trail head but they were sensibly parked and we found a spot for our truck.
During today's hike, there was lotsa shade under the tree canopy with a nice breeze. It was 92 degrees in the shade and it actually felt quite pleasant. There were lotsa people with dogs on the trail and Lisa had to stop and pet all of them.
We headed on out to a section of trail that's always sunny and hotter and it got up to 102 degrees in the sun and I was lovin' it.
I was wearing my standard hiking garb, boots, a light weight pair of shorts and no shirt.
My wife brought a hydration pack. I generally don't bother with hydration on hikes under 10 miles.
We ended up going 6.31 miles in 2 hours and 22 minutes.
When we got home I cracked a cold beer, lit a Macanudo Inspirado Black Robusto cigar and fired up the grill. I had some left over hickory chunks from yesterday's smoked pork, added them to the coals and cooked 3 Bubba Burgers we got from Walmart.
My wife made a mushroom swiss burger wrap with a carb balance tortilla and I had mine with jalapeno cheddar on a whole wheat tortilla. The hickory smoke made them delicious.
Tomorrow, we have another hike in the sun planned, an outdoor shower, some time around and in the outdoor pool then fireworks at dusk.
We're gonna start the day with me cooking bison steaks and eggs for breakfast.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Tomorrow, we have a Farmer’s Market in the am (we are vendors). Then home, a bit of housekeeping and yard work and playing with the dogs. Then, an old friend of Herself’s is over for pizza and wine.

Unfortunately, fireworks are a problem for me. First, they are illegal in Ohio but the jackass PD says “ It is the 4th of July!?!” Like that is an excuse. Second, well, let’s just say unexpected booms set me on edge. Kevin

But, my stuff aside, Happy Independence Day to all.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #904
My wife and I decided to make today's hike a bit longer. When we got to the trail head there weren't many vehicles there and we just figured that most people wouldn't like to be out on a hot and humid day like today.

Hot and humid is just 'bout right for me.

It got up to 103 sunny degrees on the sunnier, hotter sections of trail and we ended up going 7.76 miles in 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Still there was a bit of a breeze which helped to cool things off a bit.
This time we saw only one other couple on the trail.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #905
Today was an "off" day. Gotta rest some time. We came down out of the mountains, headed to town and got some supplies.
We did stop at the local resort on our way out and got our vitamin D treatments.
My wife rested next to the outdoor pool and I floated on an air mattress in the pool for 'bout an hour.
Tomorrow, we're planning on a nice bike ride if the weather holds out.

·
Super Moderator
32,113 Posts
Today was an "off" day. Gotta rest some time. We came down out of the mountains, headed to town and got some supplies.
We did stop at the local resort on our way out and got our vitamin D treatments.
My wife rested next to the outdoor pool and I floated on an air mattress in the pool for 'bout an hour.
Tomorrow, we're planning on a nice bike ride if the weather holds out.
That is so true about an off day or a cheat day on supper time, everything in moderation including a bit of excess but in moderation. Indulging yourself from time to time is a plus.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #907
That is so true about an off day or a cheat day on supper time, everything in moderation including a bit of excess but in moderation. Indulging yourself from time to time is a plus.
Well, I keep hitting my goals and I've decided that enough's enough and I'm just gonna work on maintaining. Right now I'm 140 pounds, my bodyfat's probably close to, if not in single digits, I feel great and have lotsa energy.
At first my goal was just to get down to 170 pounds. After I hit that, I wanted to get down to 164, that'd officially get me out of the "overweight" catagory, after that, I wanted visible abs,

Then I wanted better defined abs, lower bodyfat and visible serratus anteriors. With the quarantine orders, I devised a home workout routine with lotsa pushups and spent a lot of time on my home spin bike to burn more fat along with a revised diet.

Now I feel that I can ease back on my diet a bit, rework my workout routine at the gym to just maintain and just enjoy myself while the summer weather holds out.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #908
Yesterday was a workout day and my wife and I felt pretty good. Dunno what it was but we both felt strong and got a pretty good workout. I had to keep reminding myself that I'm maintaining now and to not overdo it.
Today it's beautiful and sunny and we went for a hike at the resort. I figured might as well work on my tan while I got my cardio.
We went 5.2 miles and the temps hit 95 degrees.
After our hike, we showered and hung out at the outdoor pool for a little while.

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts
This morning was my first day back with my trainer. Felt good. We’ll see how I feel in the morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I eat a little smarter than I did in the past. My weight is marginally high but stable. Occasionally I get the urge to exercise. I usually pour about three fingers of Jack, find a shady spot in the yard, and wait for the urge to go away.
Kinda similar to me, but my urge is more powerful than me and sometimes I give up and just eat

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #911
This morning was my first day back with my trainer. Felt good. We’ll see how I feel in the morning.
I'll bet it felt good to get back to it. Kinda wish I had gotten a trainer when I started out.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #913
The place we go to get our workout has a Bowflex Revolution machine that we use for lat bar pull downs and standing tricep extensions. Unfortunately the machine is broken and we've had to find alternatives to work the same muscle groups. In all fairness though, it's not a commercial machine and is meant for a home gym. It was just put through more stress than it was designed for.
Still, even though the resistance part of the machine no longer works, it does have a dandy adjustable bench that we can use for overhead presses, seated bicep curls, incline presses and others. All with dumbells so it's still useful.
So with a little creativity and some past experience, we both got a pretty good workout. I'm just wondering if we'll have any sore muscles from doing alternatives to some of our regular exercises.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was a gym rat until three years ago when crippling Rheumatoid Arthritis set in. Doc put me on meds so toxic she told me if I drank even beer it could kill me. So after drinking beer daily for 50 years I quit cold turkey. I dropped 20 lbs and my blood pressure went way down. I had to get sick to get healthy. BTW, Bud Zero isn't bad stuff. It's been three years and I'm back to a lot of push ups and dumbell work in basement trying to get muscle back. Other than that pushing 70 is exercise enough.

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
A friend with incurable Rheumatoid Arthritis told me that after the doctors gave up on his case (he was 65 at the time) he started lap swimming regularly. Every day in fact. He wasn't fast at first, but he was persistent and kept it up until he died at the age of 94. At that point, his arthritis had literally reversed (the damage to his joints was visible, but he said that he didn't experience pain or limited movement). He was also competitively swimming in his age cohort and quite successful at a national level. 3 record times, 7 gold medals in his competitions. Tony Lopez was something of a mentor and hero to me without knowing it. When he passed, he looked about 20 years younger than he was. Ultimately he died from stomach cancer, but was lucid to the last day (I was with him the day before in the hospital).

·
Registered
34 Posts
A friend with incurable Rheumatoid Arthritis told me that after the doctors gave up on his case (he was 65 at the time) he started lap swimming regularly. Every day in fact. He wasn't fast at first, but he was persistent and kept it up until he died at the age of 94. At that point, his arthritis had literally reversed (the damage to his joints was visible, but he said that he didn't experience pain or limited movement). He was also competitively swimming in his age cohort and quite successful at a national level. 3 record times, 7 gold medals in his competitions. Tony Lopez was something of a mentor and hero to me without knowing it. When he passed, he looked about 20 years younger than he was. Ultimately he died from stomach cancer, but was lucid to the last day (I was with him the day before in the hospital).
That's a great story. Inactivity definitely contributes to the overall deterioration if you allow it to. Since the meds have got me back on my feet, I've gone from not being able to climb stairs to cutting, hand splitting, loading/unloading, stacking five cords of firewood for next winter. It's how I've heated my house for 30 years. Push ups and dumbell work in the basement helps get the muscle tone back. My wife and I went to the town park beach on a beautiful lake yesterday. One positive about Corona is the town beach is now restricted to town residents to keep it less crowded. I did a lot of swimming and my legs feel better today than they have in a while. I thought of the story of your friend afterward and will make swimming at the lake a regular routine. RA can't be cured but can be managed with exercise and medication to slow down it's progress.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
For today's hike I had planned on making another video to upload to my YouTube channel. I had the camera charged and ready to go.
However, the weather had different ideas.
When we started out, it was warm, sunny and humid. The kind of weather that just felt like it was gonna storm.
I left the camera in the truck.
We decided to keep going until it started lookin' like rain and ended up going just 3.65 in 1 hour and 38 minutes.
On our way home, the sun came out again but when I was in the shower, I could hear the thunder.
We'll see what tomorrow's like.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
My wife and I did indoor cardio for an hour on our home equipment. I used our home spin bike.

My wife used our elliptical cross trainer.

It was storming outside and we were both soaked with sweat by the time we were done.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #919
Here's an interesting thing.
On today's bike ride we met a fellow that watches videos on my YouTube Channel.
He called me, "that famous YouTube guy."
I've met viewers before and it always seems kinda weird.
Anyway, we talked about bikes for a while then went on our way.
I think I have some ideas for upcoming videos.
My wife and I ended up riding 15.9 miles.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #920
My wife and I had a "fitness assessment" at the new gym today. We both came out good and healthy.
I found out that my body fat's in the "very lean" category. That's groovy, I feel great.
Now I'm thinking of where to go now. At first I was thinking of just maintaining but they have so much excellent equipment there that I'm starting to think of doing a bit of bulking.
The exercise equipment's so nice, clean and well maintained that I just want to keep working out.
For now, I'm gonna keep my protein up and increase my carbs and calories a bit and see how my body responds.

901 - 920 of 929 Posts