Smith And Wesson Forums banner

881 - 900 of 908 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
Warm sunny day. My wife and I headed out to the trail head to go for a nice hike. When we got there the parking area was packed. There is a large open field that can be used for overflow parking but some geniuses parked along the drive and completely blocked it.

We decided to four wheel it to the top of the ridge and start there. Apparently several other people had the same idea. We did find a spot between a coupla trees to squeeze the truck into.

There were a lot of people on the trail. In fact I've never seen it so crowded before. Then again on Memorial Day weekend Saturday, we're usually home going to the local car show and parade. Both of which were cancelled.

Anyway, we ended up hiking 5.11 miles in 2 hours. The temps hit a high of 84 sunny degrees.

When we got home I fired up the grill, a Rocky Patel R4 Maduro Robusto cigar, cracked a cold beer and grilled some chicken breasts in hickory smoke and a barbecue sauce that my wife mixed up. The chicken came out tender, juicy and delicious.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
After doing some heavy yard work and then the heat hit 92, wife decided we needed to go for a ride. Off towards the Gulf, found a store open with raw oysters. Bought a 30# box, guy said there was ~ 6 dozen in the box; after 7 dozen, we have half a cooler left to shuck. I add a little horseradish and sriracha; wife makes "Oysters Moscow" which means a little sour cream and a touch of caviar on top. Some cold Heineken and my brining chicken breasts will have to wait until tomorrow.

Reactions: snubbyfan

·
Super Moderator
31,895 Posts
After doing some heavy yard work and then the heat hit 92, wife decided we needed to go for a ride. Off towards the Gulf, found a store open with raw oysters. Bought a 30# box, guy said there was ~ 6 dozen in the box; after 7 dozen, we have half a cooler left to shuck. I add a little horseradish and sriracha; wife makes "Oysters Moscow" which means a little sour cream and a touch of caviar on top. Some cold Heineken and my brining chicken breasts will have to wait until tomorrow.
Aren't oysters bait? :)

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Aren't oysters bait? :)
Not from Apalachicola Bay....and in an oyster shooter..WOOHOO..........take some spicy Bloody Mary mix, a plump raw oyster, a touch of celery seed, a double shot of vodka, a touch of Worcestershire sauce, some prepared horseradish..............let it soak for a bit, then bottoms up!
You will NEVER have a Bloody Mary the same way again

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
My wife and I went on another hike today. There were even more vehicles in the parking area. At least this time, they parked in the big open field instead of blocking it off.

We still four wheeled it to the top of the ridge.

Today we went only 4.35 miles in a little less than 2 hours.

Didn't find any trail treasures just lotsa cigarette butts.

Tomorrow's a home workout day. I'm hoping they can open the gym soon. I'm really looking forward to a good workout.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
Fitness update. Took this picture tonight.

We're doing what we can with home workouts and cardio.
The gym's still not open but now that the weather's getting nicer we can go outside and go hiking and biking to get our cardio.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
Going back to the gym today.

Kinda got a mix of anticipation and apprehension.

After more than 2 months away and doing home workouts, have I managed to maintain? How much have I lost, or maybe gained?

Either way we'll havta figure out our workout routine all over again.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #888
Got a good workout at the gym. Only problem was most of the lighter dumbells were missing. There were no 30 pound or 25 pound dumbells and only one 20, 15 and 10 pound dumbell. The heavier dumbells were there. Two 35 pounders, two 40 pounders and two 45 pounders.

The plates for the Bowflex Revolution machine were taken off the machine and mounded in scattered piles. I kinda expected that, it's what people seem to do. I'm not sure why. Also only one side of the Bowflex machine works which would be fine if there wasn't a bunch of missing dumbells.

Still, with a bit of creativity, we managed to get a good full body workout.

Afterwards, we went to get a shower before soaking in one of the in ground hot tubs. 'Cept there wasn't any hot water and both of the in ground hot tubs were cold tubs.

There is an above ground hot tub that was hot so we soaked in that after taking cold showers.

Still, it was nice to get out and use the equipment.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #889
Must've been a good workout yesterday. I've got sore muscles today. I am kinda surprised that my triceps aren't very sore. For over 2 months I did no isolation moves for my triceps and I gave them a good workout yesterday.
They might get sore later.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
For today's adventure we started with a hike at the resort. We went 4.62 miles in 1 hour and 53 minutes.

Before we started our hike I just had to go to the workout room and check. The weights are back, the hot tubs were hot and the showers had hot water. I'm gonna enjoy tomorrow's workout and probably end up with more sore muscles.

An interesting thing happens when it rains on one of our outings. The rain always seems to start when we're at the furthest point from where we started. Today was no exception. Right when we turned around to head back for a shower and some time laying in the sun around the outdoor pool, it clouded up and started raining. The temperature dropped from 92 to 74 degrees in just a coupla minutes. Fortunately the rain passed, the skies cleared and the sun came back out.

We decided to go to the indoor aquatics center and shower there. Then head on out to get some shopping done at Martin's in VA and get some supper at KFC.

Actually it was supper first then shopping at Martin's. Masks were required.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #891
On today's workout I could tell that I hadn't fully recovered from Monday's workout. Kinda expected.
Anyway, our next workout day's on Monday that should give me plenty of time to recover.
Now where did I put that Biofreeze?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
My wife and I jumped in the truck and headed out for a hike. Again the parking area was packed, not quite as bad as before but packed enough that we took our truck to the top of the ridge.

Beautiful sunny warm day and we ended up going 6.14 miles in 2 hours and 20 minutes. The temps got up to a sunny 95 degrees.

Tomorrow, we're planning on going for a supply run and stopping at Little Caesars on the way home for a pizza, stopping at a camping area and having some pizza in the park for supper.

Monday's a workout day and we figure the pizza'll be our carb load.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
I have a confession. When the gym reopened, I hit it hard. Using the same weight and doing the same routines that I did before they closed for a coupla months. I figured, since our home workouts approximated the movements of our gym workouts, I should be okay. Thinkin' that I shoulda maintained and could just pick up where I left off. Well, kinda but I still should have eased into it.
I was so sore after that first workout that I did reduce my workout weights and increased reps.
After that first workout a coupla weeks ago, my left shoulder's been more sore than it should be.
It's been getting better but still sore if I move it in certain ways.
I don't like taking pain meds but I do have a TENS unit that was gifted to us by a good friend and I'm gonna zap my shoulder a coupla times a day. Hopefully, it'll get better sooner.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
Beautiful weather today, my wife and I went for a bike ride on the C&O Canal Towpath.

I loosened Frankenbike's SPD pedals to the point that they just basically locate my feet on the pedals and clipping in and out is much easier to compensate for my gimpy ankles. I brought an Allen wrench set in case they were too loose, my cleats "popped" and I needed to tighten them. Turned out that they were just right and I could still pedal in circles without inadvertently unclipping.

Also, I took Frankenbikes trunk off which reduce his weight by a bit over 4 pounds. That, along with my weight being down to 144 pounds, made the combination of me and Frankenbike seem light and nimble.

Anyway, we ended up going 17.54 miles in 'bout 3 hours. It woulda been quicker 'cept we met a couple and spent a bit over half an hour jibber jabbering. According to my Garmin GPS watch we burned 630 calories

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #895
Weighed myself this morning. 142 pounds. I dug out an old pair of shorts that haven't fit for decades and today, I needed a belt to help hold them up. I wore those with a size small tank top I bought at Walmart recently.

Those shorts haven't fit since I was this skinny.

Anyway, I haven't measured my body fat lately. I was kinda thinking of trying for single digits by the end of Summer. Now I'm kinda wondering where it's at now.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Weighed myself this morning. 142 pounds. I dug out an old pair of shorts that haven't fit for decades and today, I needed a belt to help hold them up. I wore those with a size small tank top I bought at Walmart recently.

Those shorts haven't fit since I was this skinny.

Anyway, I haven't measured my body fat lately. I was kinda thinking of trying for single digits by the end of Summer. Now I'm kinda wondering where it's at now.
Well I can honestly say I am more than twice the man your are....(GROAN), but then the last time I weighed 142 I was in 6th grade

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
Last Monday was the first day back in the gym. I was there when they opened. Told my secretary I wouldn’t be available for 90 minutes. Just wasn’t able to motivate myself at home in the last couple of months. Weight is basically the same. Lost a few pounds early on from stress the dis my best to gain them back.

Feels great to lifting again.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
Good workout today. I've changed things up a bit. Right now it's more about maintenance. I'm keeping the weights moderate and increasing reps. Now that the weather's nice, I don't want to risk an injury by maxing out my workouts.

After our workout we had protein drinks in the indoor hot tub then spent 'bout an hour lounging around at the outdoor pool working on our tans.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #899
Good workout today. I'm keeping with the "maintenance" workouts. Keeping in mind, lotsa reps with moderate weights.

Tomorrow's supposed to be hot and sunny and we've got a nice hike planned. It's on a public trail that's rated as "strenuous" and the temps have hit triple digits before.

We'll see how hot it gets tomorrow.

I like it hot, helps my faulty motor nerves fire.
Once we get home, I'm gonna fire up the grill, a cigar and open a cold beer. We're gonna have grilled burgers with jalapeno cheddar in whole wheat wraps. They'll be around 600 calories but that ain't bad considering that we're probably gonna be burning around 1500 calories on the mountain.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I have not read this entire thread. Snubbyfan, I read the first and last post. Sounds like you made it where you wanted/needed to be! Congratulations!

Remember how hard it was to get there next time that food temptress shows up!

myself, today I achieved a small milestone. This past January I decided I wanted to be under 200 pounds by the 4th of July. Started with 5 minutes a day on the treadmill, 2 miles and hour. Now I do thirty minutes at 4.5 mph on the odd numbered days of the month. Even numbered days a 20 minutes routine with dumbells.

This morning the scale read...................199.8!!!

It can be done, I am 65 and if I lose 15 more pounds, I will be back to my high school weight.

Kevin

881 - 900 of 908 Posts