Smith And Wesson Forums banner

861 - 880 of 929 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
Tried to do my hike yesterday in one of the two parks I use for that purpose and it was closed. I was there Friday on my last hike. This morning my GF emailed me the news...the FL governor has closed all the state parks. Jeez, back to the concrete jungle. Time to get the Mt. bike down from the garage ceiling.
Same here. On Tuesday my wife and I went to town to get some groceries and along the way we stopped at our favorite trail head to make sure it was still open and it was. Today we went there and it was gated and locked. I'm hoping it was locked up because it's also a camp ground. Anyway, we know of another was in and did get a good hike in.
Looks like the bike trail's still open. I'm gonna havta get the bikes out and get them both ready to ride. Home cardio's fine but going outside to play's a lot more fun.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #862
We have a pretty good home full body workout routine together and since there's less next day muscle soreness, apparently our bodies are adjusting.
Looks like there's gonna be at least one more month of "social isolation" and I'm planning on keeping with the same workout routine.
I'm hoping for more nice weather so we can go out and play, hiking and biking, for our cardio. Until then there's always our home equipment.
Anyway, I figure that if I keep up with the same workout routine that I have now that when the aquatics center reopens and we get back to working out there, it'll shock our bodies into more gains.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Took the bicycle from my home On south Ellsworth a little south of Corabell in east east Mesa to the highest point on usery pass just past the Usery park entrance which is now shuttered. I entertained going down to Old Bush Hwy .. but wasn't entirely convinced the old somewhat tired motor I was using would get me back up the hill on the way home!!

Havent had my bike out in maybe a year but have been walking and hiking regular. Cleaned up the chain, a little gear oil and spray silicon in key spots and off I went. My legs felt fine, my heart wasnt slamming but .. my breakfast slimfast started to try and escape my body. Just not in the shape I want or need to be in YET! I actually did a bit better than I thought. Didnt think I would make it past Brown.

I like to set intermediary goals.

Usery park entrance was goal one ( got a little past it)
Old bush hwy goal 2
Within the next three weeks .. Peeble beach

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
Interesting workout today. At first, while I was doing my push ups, I thought that I must have lost weight. They seemed easier. I couldn't check 'cause I haven't been weighing myself so I have no point of reference.
Then when I was doing my seated overhead presses, I came to the conclusion that it must just be a low gravity day. Those seemed easier too.
Then it seemed like the spring on the old Bullworker was starting to weaken.
What the (expletive deleted)'s going on here?
Then it occurred to me. We stopped at McDonald's drive through for supper yesterday while we were out making a supply run.
Musta been that Quarter Pounder with cheese from yesterday....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
Took the bicycle from my home On south Ellsworth a little south of Corabell in east east Mesa to the highest point on usery pass just past the Usery park entrance which is now shuttered. I entertained going down to Old Bush Hwy .. but wasn't entirely convinced the old somewhat tired motor I was using would get me back up the hill on the way home!!

Havent had my bike out in maybe a year but have been walking and hiking regular. Cleaned up the chain, a little gear oil and spray silicon in key spots and off I went. My legs felt fine, my heart wasnt slamming but .. my breakfast slimfast started to try and escape my body. Just not in the shape I want or need to be in YET! I actually did a bit better than I thought. Didnt think I would make it past Brown.

I like to set intermediary goals.

Usery park entrance was goal one ( got a little past it)
Old bush hwy goal 2
Within the next three weeks .. Peeble beach
My bike and my wife's just took turns on the bike repair stand. Wanted to get them both ready to go.

To my shock and horror, my shifter cables were starting to fray. Now it has brand new cables and housings and ready to go.
Monday's supposed to be nice, we plan to get the bikes out for a nice ride then.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #866 (Edited)
Beautiful sunny warm day today. My wife and I got the bikes out and went for a nice 16.5 mile ride.
Not bad for the first bike ride of the year.
I could tell that all that time on the home spin bike helped.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My bike and my wife's just took turns on the bike repair stand. Wanted to get them both ready to go.

To my shock and horror, my shifter cables were starting to fray. Now it has brand new cables and housings and ready to go.
Monday's supposed to be nice, we plan to get the bikes out for a nice ride then.
This weekend I pulled the cables and oiled the housings, installed new brake pads front and back and even trued the rims. Quick 9 miles today. Felt like a new bike. Something so awesome about the direct power drive of a well tuned bike

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #869
My wife and I got in our 4wd truck, drove up into the woods and went for a hike today.
When we started the temps were in the high 60's and it was cloudy and breezy. By the time we got back to the truck the temps were in the sunny lower 80's.
We ended up hiking 4.8 miles in two hours. That includes looking for turtles in a stream and stopping to water the weeds....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I got in a Bicycle ride windy as hell out here today but I managed 17.59 miles with an overall average speed of 16.5 mph. I didnt even feel like vomiting when I got home!! Plus Plus :D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #871 (Edited)
My wife and I went for a bike ride today. When we started the sun was shining and it was warm enough for a short sleeved bike jersey and a cycling cap. However, a few miles down the trail, it clouded up and got cooler. Not too bad but we did prefer the sun.
We picked a turn around point that was a bit further out than our last ride. After riding a few miles on the way back My wife says, "something really bad happened."
We stop and that's when I hear the air hissing out of her front tire. No big deal, I make sure we each have a spare inner tube, both of our bikes have frame pumps and I've got tire levers on Frankenbike. I figured we could patch the bad inner tube after we get home and use that as an extra.
As My wife looked for the hole in the inner tube, she noticed that it was cracked and dry rotted and I don't intend to waste time patching it.
Anyway, while we were fixing her bike, the sun came out and it warmed up.
Pleasant ride back but when we got close to town, the wind picked up and of course it was a head wind.
We ended up riding 21.66 miles and according to my Garmin GPS watch, we burned 748 calories.
Better get our rest tonight, tomorrow's a workout day.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #872
When I say pre-workout, I don't mean one of those magic potions that ya mix up in a shaker bottle. I mean that I have a specific breakfast that I've formulated through trial and error for workout days. It's a combination of protein, carbs, calories and caffeine (a cup of mango green tea) and my anti-gimpy supplements. Kicks in about 30 to 40 minutes later and really helps with my workouts.
Today, apparently, I timed it just right. Had a great home workout with extra sets and reps.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
My goal during all this home quarantine stuff's to keep the weight I worked so hard to get rid of from coming back on.
So far so good. In fact, as of this morning, not only have I kept the weight off but I've lost a coupla more pounds.
Also, today was a workout day and I felt pretty darn strong. I was able to increase reps and not on just the body weight exercises either. Must be getting my diet just 'bout right.
I was toying with the idea of trying to get my body fat down to single digits by the end of summer. At this point, it looks kinda like I may be in single digits by the time summer gets here. 'Specially if the gym reopens and we can start going back and get some proper workouts.
Some nice weather for hiking and biking'd help too.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #875
I'm glad we got some new knobbies for the truck last year. Getting to a spot to park on the trail took some four wheelin' through mud bogs.

Fortunately the hiking trail was in pretty good shape with some areas that were a bit moist but not too muddy.

We ended up hiking 5.1 miles in 2 hours. The temps got up to 75 breezy degrees. My wife and I both felt pretty good and enjoyed the day.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
Here's an interesting thing. On yesterday's hike it seemed like a low gravity day.
On today's workout, it seemed like gravity was turned back up. Not too high, just back to normal.
It'll be interestin' to see what tomorrow's cardio'll be like.
So far, it looks like another hike's possible on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #877
Nice day today. My wife and I piled into the 4wd truck and headed up into the mountains, through the mud bogs and went for a hike.

We ended up going 4.36 miles and the temps got up to 74 sunny degrees. Personally, I'd like it at least 20 degrees warmer but it was still a nice day for a hike.

Felt like another low gravity day. I wasn't sure if it was the weather, covid-19 related or climate change.

I think I've got it figured out. When we got home I stepped on the scale and it said that I'm 147 pounds. It's not that gravity's been turned down, it's that I've lost weight.

I just have less weight to move up the mountain trail.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
Today was a workout day.
Felt pretty good today. I've been trying out giving myself a bit more time between super sets and it seems to be helping. I've been getting more total reps per exercise.
I'm thinking of making tomorrow a rest day. That is just half an hour of cardio instead of a full hour.
The weather on Wednesday is looking good for a bike ride and Thursday's looking like a good day for a hike in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #879
Beautiful day today. My wife and I got the bikes out and went for a nice long bike ride on the C&O Canal Towpath. She packed up a picnic lunch of a coupla cold cut roll ups in Frankenbike's trunk with a can of diet ginger ale.

We had stopped for a meal at our turn around point at the Potomac Forks camp ground, Sittin' on the front porch of a lock house.

We ended up going 21.75 miles.

Tomorrow looks like a good day for a workout day and get the grass cut.

Might even fire up the grill, a cigar and crack a cold beer.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
For today's hike we didn't havta four wheel our way in. The parking area at the trail head's open!
Beautiful sunny day, temps got up to 94 degrees on the mountain and we ended up hiking five and a half miles. Took us 'bout two and a half hours.

861 - 880 of 929 Posts