Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 889 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
-----------
Congrats! That is a substantial change on a 5'6" frame. You look great and I suspect you feel even better. Well done.
-----------

I'm 48 now. I used to be 250 lbs, but about six years ago I decided it was a time for change and I now weigh around 187. I'm 5'6" so when I was heavy I really looked heavy. I mix my exercise routines up. I row, swim, walk, use the elliptical machine, do calisthenics and work out in my garden (weeding, squatting down, digging holes) . I also watch my eating and I don't smoke and basically don't drink alcohol. I'm not anti-alcohol. I just prefer coffee when it comes to a vice. The photo on the left was me back in 2010. The other photo was taken in March of 2013. For what it's worth people were much more willing to try to fight me ,and try to provoke me, when I was arresting them back when I was out of shape. I was also quicker to lose my temper and get into scuffles with suspects and I was a terrible snorer. Now that I've made some changes I find that I almost never get into physical confrontations and my over all disposition is calmer and I wake up more rested. My health is also better. Oh and my qualification scores with my Glock have also improved. It applies to everything I guess. My back doesn't bother me as much as well. I've dropped ten inches on my waist as well. It was worth it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
-----------
Congrats! That is a substantial change on a 5'6" frame. You look great and I suspect you feel even better. Well done.
-----------
I do. My lower back and knees in particular and I don't snore anymore at night. However I have to watch my cholesterol. It's a genetic thing. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm 48 now. I used to be 250 lbs, but about six years ago I decided it was a time for change and I now weigh around 187. I'm 5'6" so when I was heavy I really looked heavy. I mix my exercise routines up. I row, swim, walk, use the elliptical machine, do calisthenics and work out in my garden (weeding, squatting down, digging holes) . I also watch my eating and I don't smoke and basically don't drink alcohol. I'm not anti-alcohol. I just prefer coffee when it comes to a vice. The photo on the left was me back in 2010. The other photo was taken in March of 2013. For what it's worth people were much more willing to try to fight me ,and try to provoke me, when I was arresting them back when I was out of shape. I was also quicker to lose my temper and get into scuffles with suspects and I was a terrible snorer. Now that I've made some changes I find that I almost never get into physical confrontations and my over all disposition is calmer and I wake up more rested. My health is also better. Oh and my qualification scores with my Glock have also improved. It applies to everything I guess. My back doesn't bother me as much as well. I've dropped ten inches on my waist as well. It was worth it.
The "after" you does look like a more pleasant fellow. Ten inches is a huge change.
I'm 5'8" and 230 pounds was a lot on my frame. It also made getting around with my peripheral neuropathy more difficult. Now at 176, I feel great and walking's a lot easier. My ultimate goal's 170.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Today's been an "off" day. We went and saw the new "Ghostbusters" movie.
Then I splurged and had 3 breaded chicken strips and a diet coke at a food place at the mall. My wife had a chicken caesar salad pita.
It started raining like crazy while we were sittin' in the mall eatin' our chicken.
Then it was off to the "Super Walmart" for our monthly grocery shopping.
I picked up some stuff to put together for a little emergency kit for when I start exploring more off the beaten path on my hikes.
By the time we left it had cleared up and cooled off.
Tomorrow, it's off to the Y for spin class and a good workout on the weight machines.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Today's been an "off" day. We went and saw the new "Ghostbusters" movie.
Then I splurged and had 3 breaded chicken strips and a diet coke at a food place at the mall. My wife had a chicken caesar salad pita.
It started raining like crazy while we were sittin' in the mall eatin' our chicken.
Then it was off to the "Super Walmart" for our monthly grocery shopping.
I picked up some stuff to put together for a little emergency kit for when I start exploring more off the beaten path on my hikes.
By the time we left it had cleared up and cooled off.
Tomorrow, it's off to the Y for spin class and a good workout on the weight machines.
My doc. says don't get ate up with being too strict, just be aware of what you are doing, off days are okay.
My off days are buttered popcorn and MGD64, the light beer cancels out the butter.
At least that's my theory anyway!!
Glad to hear everyone is doing well, I know it's tough at times just look at the long term results.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My off day's over, time to hit it hard again.
Today we went to the Y for a good workout.
When we got home we had a chicken Caesar salad with just a small dollop of dressing.

I planned on getting down to 175 by the end of July. I'm one pound off at 176.

·
Registered
611 Posts
First, I want to thank "snubbyfan" for initiating such a positive thread.

Secondly, I've found a reason to get fit again so I'll join in on the fun here. I went to rent/evaluate a S&W Shield 9mm today. I've been thinking about getting one for CC. Nice gun and I enjoyed shooting it but couldn't hit poo-poo with it. I can't hit poo-poo with a J-frame either. So I've decided I need to lose 40 pounds to aid in concealing either of my two full-size carry guns (which I do shoot pretty well). 6' 2" and 240 pounds right now. My goal is to get down to 200 by my birthday next spring.

I really hope this thread has some longevity and that we can all encourage each other on the journey.

Best regards to all.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
31,499 Posts

Secondly, I've found a reason to get fit again so I'll join in on the fun here. I went to rent/evaluate a S&W Shield 9mm today. I've been thinking about getting one for CC. Nice gun and I enjoyed shooting it but couldn't hit poo-poo with it. I can't hit poo-poo with a J-frame either. So I've decided I need to lose 40 pounds to aid in concealing either of my two full-size carry guns (which I do shoot pretty well). 6' 2" and 240 pounds right now. My goal is to get down to 200 by my birthday next spring.

I really hope this thread has some longevity and that we can all encourage each other on the journey.

Best regards to all.

Larry
I agree, improving your fitness and quality of life is a worthy goal to work towards.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Snubby, bless you for starting this thread. I'm almost 64, 5'9" and weigh in these days at around 227. I've seen some of your hiking videos and you live in a very nice part of our country. Recently had surgery to attach my right bicep distal tendon (elbow area), so have not been on my daily 7 mile bicycle ride since 6/14/16. This summer's been a bust. No beach, no shooting, no cycling, no travel. Thanks again for the motivation, and keep posting.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Best regards to all.

Larry
The grip on a Shield doesn't work with my big hands at all. However a J frame with a Pachmayr Compact grip's just right.
Good luck on your weight loss, keep us posted.
Snubby, bless you for starting this thread. I'm almost 64, 5'9" and weigh in these days at around 227. I've seen some of your hiking videos and you live in a very nice part of our country. Recently had surgery to attach my right bicep distal tendon (elbow area), so have not been on my daily 7 mile bicycle ride since 6/14/16. This summer's been a bust. No beach, no shooting, no cycling, no travel. Thanks again for the motivation, and keep posting.
Yeah, I've had years like that. Usually because I did something stupid early in the season then had to wait to heal.
We get the bikes out and go riding too.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
This is a timely thread for me, 6 months ago I was 240 lbs. My 38 pants & xl t-shirts were getting tight, I knew it was time to do something! I cut out all soda while in the truck, only sun tea & water ride with me now, and at first only black coffee. I work nights, so I tried to quit eating in the morning right before bed. On the days I was too hungry, I'd eat oatmeal with just a touch of brown sugar for flavor. My wife has been a big help with making me health dinners for the road. Since I've started, I have had fast food about a half a dozen times. About once a month. The weight came off easier than I expected, now I hover around 215 with my eventual goal of 200. Not bad for only changing eating habits, and honestly, I have not been trying as hard as in the beginning but I'm happier anyway! I had my DOT physical the other day and the doctor even made a comment about it! That made me feel good!

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Instant gratification as opposed to long term, that's the problem with most individual's have. Its not easy putting one foot forward in front of the other over an extended period of time as in years. Getting out before the sun rises, the rain stops, temperature rises or lowers and etcetera. Most people ask me if I like to walk. At first yes for the accomplishment but after awhile it gets old and you have to drink a big cup of suck it up and go. Life is not for the faint of heart thus still walking after all these years.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
One thing I have done is give up all Soda's and I lost some weight just from doing that. I haven't had a soda in over a year. Now it's un-sweeten Ice tea with a little lemon and some fruit juice like Cranberry juice 8oz a day. Oh I do drink coffee in the morn and use one pack of sugar in the raw for a little sweetener. Good health too all.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I thought I'd start a health and fitness thread.
I've been working on my diet, concentrating on eating lean protein and green vegetables. When I have carbohydrates, it's whole wheat.
My Italian wife's not too wild about whole wheat pasta but she occasionally makes the sacrifice.
We're staying away from fad diets. Instead we're eating healthy while keeping to a caloric deficit until the weight's off.
Also, we've been going to the YMCA for spin classes, weight lifting and water therapy in the warm pool.
When we're not going to the Y, we're hiking all over the area mountains.
My ultimate goal's to get back to my pre-neuropathy weight of a fit 170 pounds. Right now I'm at 176, getting close.
I've got a degenerative peripheral motor nerve condition and when it first started I ended up gaining 60 pounds and that just made it harder to get around.
Today, my wife and I went for a nice long afternoon hike together.
It's beautiful out here and the view from a mountain ridge alone is worth the effort.
Tomorrow, it's off to the Y.
Not one of us have an expiration date on our foreheads. You never know.
Look at the bright side:
You'll die healthy.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
The aerobic exercise is one of the best decisions many in this thread have made.

I've been a lap swimmer for over 45 years. Even though I've been active, I've also gained too much weight recently.

As you age, your metabolism slows down. I know now that I can't control my weight without controlling my intake as well.

One of my biggest problems with long term weight management has been keeping up my discipline - especially about food intake. The problem is the tension that constantly denying yourself creates. At the core of this is that I still want the things that are not healthy for me. I am addicted to carbohydrates.

The solution to this is gradually shifting my focus to how it feels to be normal in weight, versus the constant burden of the extra weight I carry around everywhere.

Imagine having to always carry a 50 pound sack of sand with you everywhere. Or a 75 pound sack. Or a 100 pound sack. You get used to it, but it's a constant burden.

The long term aerobic exercise has been a godsend. In some ways, I have been permanently conditioned by it. I had major surgery that kept me out of the pool for 9 months in 2013. Within a week, I was able to get back to my normal lap swimming. The endurance was still inside me, even though I hadn't used it for so long. The conditioning also, without doubt, contributed to my healing from two major abdominal surgeries quickly.

Now, the next leg of the journey... back to more activity and better health with the YMCA "Livestrong" program!

Marc

21 - 40 of 889 Posts