Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a health and fitness thread.

I've been working on my diet, concentrating on eating lean protein and green vegetables. When I have carbohydrates, it's whole wheat.
My Italian wife's not too wild about whole wheat pasta but she occasionally makes the sacrifice.
We're staying away from fad diets. Instead we're eating healthy while keeping to a caloric deficit until the weight's off.

Also, we've been going to the YMCA for spin classes, weight lifting and water therapy in the warm pool.
When we're not going to the Y, we're hiking all over the area mountains.

My ultimate goal's to get back to my pre-neuropathy weight of a fit 170 pounds. Right now I'm at 176, getting close.
I've got a degenerative peripheral motor nerve condition and when it first started I ended up gaining 60 pounds and that just made it harder to get around.

Today, my wife and I went for a nice long afternoon hike together.
It's beautiful out here and the view from a mountain ridge alone is worth the effort.
Tomorrow, it's off to the Y.

·
Super Moderator
19,243 Posts
Snubby,
First off, congratulations on the weight loss. I've been working at getting rid of around 40 Lbs of excess weight I gained due to one of the meds I'm on. It's a non-stop struggle because I'm fighting weight gain not directly connected to what I consume on a daily basis. I've lost a little more than 30 of it, and this last 10 is going to be the hardest of all.

Secondly, are you going to share some photos from those magnificent hikes you're going on?
Some members here tell us that if there isn't a photo, it never really happened.

I look forward to those photos.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
It sounds like you're on the right track, fad diets are quackery. To lose weight you eat less calories than you burn; you gain when you eat more than you burn. Exercise is always good but diet is the answer. A friends father eats lots of lean meat (all protein, no fat) & fresh fruit, walks 1 1/4 miles a day; he's lean & healthy & approaching his 101st birthday.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snubby,
First off, congratulations on the weight loss. I've been working at getting rid of around 40 Lbs of excess weight I gained due to one of the meds I'm on. It's a non-stop struggle because I'm fighting weight gain not directly connected to what I consume on a daily basis. I've lost a little more than 30 of it, and this last 10 is going to be the hardest of all.

Secondly, are you going to share some photos from those magnificent hikes you're going on?
Some members here tell us that if there isn't a photo, it never really happened.

I look forward to those photos.

Regards,
Gregory
Who needs photos? I've got a YouTube Channel.
First day of Summer hike:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
In 1999 I was 34. Missus Fan bought me a new pair of britches. Size 40 waist.:eek: I told her I wasn't even gonna try 'em on. Called a friend and we joined the YMCA. Neither of us had ever played racquetball but it looked fun. We started playing. I decided to try my own diet. I simply cut out fat. Almost every food item has low or no fat alternative. I lost over 30 pounds in about 4 months. Today I can wear size 32 britches.
The raqcquetball is the key. I will run when I'm out of ammunition, and that is highly unlikely to happen.:cool:
Racquetball is running with a purpose.
Congratulations on your weight loss!
Jim

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like you're on the right track, fad diets are quackery. To lose weight you eat less calories than you burn; you gain when you eat more than you burn. Exercise is always good but diet is the answer. A friends father eats lots of lean meat (all protein, no fat) & fresh fruit, walks 1 1/4 miles a day; he's lean & healthy & approaching his 101st birthday.
Along with diet, you also need to be careful not to eat too little. You're body'll go into starvation mode, slow your metabolism and oxidize protein for fuel.
I was stuck at 180 pounds for the longest time. Then I decided to track my calories one day.
I discovered that I was burning between 3000 and 4000 calories but I was taking in less that 1000.
I actually had to eat more to lose weight.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Good for you!! I can fully appreciate the accomplishment.... wish like hell I can achieve the same.

Like many others in my age bracket, I'm dealing with the predicament of taking blood pressure lowering meds with side effects that causes weight gain and also makes it more difficult to lose. I also suffer from diabetic neuropathy in my feet, which makes it difficult to do normal activities, let alone exercise, even with something low impact like walking. Staying on them for long periods of time pretty much cripples me for the rest of the day/night.

Prior to all of this BS I was a size 34 waist, now sporting a tight 38 waist jean... I'll be damned if I'll give into a 40 waist.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Along with diet, you also need to be careful not to eat too little. You're body'll go into starvation mode, slow your metabolism and oxidize protein for fuel.
I was stuck at 180 pounds for the longest time. Then I decided to track my calories one day.
I discovered that I was burning between 3000 and 4000 calories but I was taking in less that 1000.
Now that's interesting... so a person's body basically goes into a survival conservation mode if you eat too little?

Does that then make it so protein (muscle) instead of fat is what is being utilized/burned/lost?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that's interesting... so a person's body basically goes into a survival conservation mode if you eat too little?

Does that then make it so protein (muscle) instead of fat is what is being utilized/burned/lost?
Yup, that's why a person hasta be careful when dieting. Also why exercise is so important.
If a person tries to lose weight just by starving, his body'll burn more muscle along with fat than if he ate healthy, kept at a slight caloric deficit and exercised.
Also, artificial sweetners are read by your body as something sweet and can trigger an insulin response. That also can slow a person's metabolism.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Yup, that's why a person hasta be careful when dieting. Also why exercise is so important.
If a person tries to lose weight just by starving, his body'll burn more muscle along with fat than if he ate healthy, kept at a slight caloric deficit and exercised.
Also, artificial sweetners are read by your body as something sweet and can trigger an insulin response. That also can slow a person's metabolism.
I'll play!

First, CONGRATS Snubby. Getting healthy is a huge undertaking. I started my journey to getting back to a healthy weight late in 2013. At that time, I was 340# and miserable. When I started dating my wife in 1982, I was 180#. So, I set that as the goal. The first pic below was at 340, second pic was at 220, and I am now at 212. I plan on hitting 180 later this year.

I am not very mobile due to a MC accident in 1979, 4 hips and a LOT of pain. The sedentary lifestyle combined with a horrible metabolism contributed to my weight gain. And to make it worse, I didn't eat healthy foods.

So, I began what I call the GOD diet. I only eat meals, prepared with food that is in the form that God made it. I only eat meat, veggies, fruit and nuts. I try to eat nothing processed other than a yogurt. I don't eat bread of any kind, no pasta and definitely no processed sugary foods like snack cakes etc. My fiber comes from a lot of veggies.

As mentioned above, if one enters starvation mode, that can be detrimental to weight loss. So it is very important to know your RMR or Resting Metabolic Rate. Most active healthy males will burn 2-3000 calories a day and 4-5000 for those who are very active. When tested, we found that my RMR was 1200 calories. So even when I tried to diet and ate 1500-1800 calories, I could never lose.

Now, by eating a lot of healthy foods, mostly low-no starch veggies (I skip Potatoes too...) I have managed to eat 1000-1100 calories a day, and I visit my doctor monthly to get checked out.

So, I know it can be done if someone wants it badly enough and is informed about what their body requires.

Anyway, congrats Snubby, and for anyone who wants to start,,, Just Do It! I wasted 30 years of my life miserable and obese. Never again!

For me it just requires a commitment to a lifetime change in eating habits and being as active as I am physically able.

FullSizeRender (7).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg IMG_6524.PNG

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's fantastic Steve!
Keep up the good work.
I set small goals along the way.
Like right now, I want to get to 175, then I'm gonna fire up the grill, drink beer, smoke a cigar and grill up some cheese burgers.
I'm still trying to figure out my reward for 170 pounds.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm 48 now. I used to be 250 lbs, but about six years ago I decided it was a time for change and I now weigh around 187. I'm 5'6" so when I was heavy I really looked heavy. I mix my exercise routines up. I row, swim, walk, use the elliptical machine, do calisthenics and work out in my garden (weeding, squatting down, digging holes) . I also watch my eating and I don't smoke and basically don't drink alcohol. I'm not anti-alcohol. I just prefer coffee when it comes to a vice. The photo on the left was me back in 2010. The other photo was taken in March of 2013. For what it's worth people were much more willing to try to fight me ,and try to provoke me, when I was arresting them back when I was out of shape. I was also quicker to lose my temper and get into scuffles with suspects and I was a terrible snorer. Now that I've made some changes I find that I almost never get into physical confrontations and my over all disposition is calmer and I wake up more rested. My health is also better. Oh and my qualification scores with my Glock have also improved. It applies to everything I guess. My back doesn't bother me as much as well. I've dropped ten inches on my waist as well. It was worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Since I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, my acupuncturist advised me to get my immune system turned around by eating healthier than I was and to exercise regularly.
Since I believe in Chinese medicine I have been following his advice and my numbers have been steady, so I keep lifting weights and ride the bike that goes nowhere.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Since I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, my acupuncturist advised me to get my immune system turned around by eating healthier than I was and to exercise regularly.
Since I believe in Chinese medicine I have been following his advice and my numbers have been steady, so I keep lifting weights and ride the bike that goes nowhere.
FWIW it does seem to help when you make those changes. I've been healthier in the past few years. I don't get sick as often and when I do come down with something it doesn't seem as severe and I recover sooner.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Snubby fan sounds like you are doing the right things. We also belong to the ywca and the wife loves Zumba. I walk and work out on the machines but I have been laid up now for two weeks because I hurt my back and stubbed my toes on the left foot. The back is ok now but the toes still hurt and make walking difficult, still swollen. I had plan on loosing some weight this summer with walking but...... Anyway we don't follow a diet we just try to eat healthy and I like the dry red wine. The red wine is not helping me too lose weight oh well.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I'm 48 now. I used to be 250 lbs, but about six years ago I decided it was a time for change and I now weigh around 187. I'm 5'6" so when I was heavy I really looked heavy. I mix my exercise routines up. I row, swim, walk, use the elliptical machine, do calisthenics and work out in my garden (weeding, squatting down, digging holes) . I also watch my eating and I don't smoke and basically don't drink alcohol. I'm not anti-alcohol. I just prefer coffee when it comes to a vice. The photo on the left was me back in 2010. The other photo was taken in March of 2013. For what it's worth people were much more willing to try to fight me ,and try to provoke me, when I was arresting them back when I was out of shape. I was also quicker to lose my temper and get into scuffles with suspects and I was a terrible snorer. Now that I've made some changes I find that I almost never get into physical confrontations and my over all disposition is calmer and I wake up more rested. My health is also better. Oh and my qualification scores with my Glock have also improved. It applies to everything I guess. My back doesn't bother me as much as well. I've dropped ten inches on my waist as well. It was worth it.
I see you have a mini me. :)

1 - 20 of 888 Posts