Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A visitor in my backyard this morning. My desk is at the backyard window. The cherry tree is in blossom and the Japanese Maple is starting to pop. I saw a very frightened squirrel cross the yard and enter the cherry tree. Following closely is this hawk who first perched on the fence, observed the squirrel and then made an attack. The squirrel got away. The hawk then perched in the maple @ 15 feet from the window. I've had them before but this is the first time I was able to get a pic. Usually as soon as I move for the camera, they bolt. I got to watch him for a good ten minutes, he ruffled, perched on one leg and preened. Pretty cool for being in town. I'm about a mile from the river where they nest under the three bridges safe from everything.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Re: Hawk

Any bird of prey that allows you a look at itself like this one is a treat. It can be tough to ID a hawk, even for expert bird watchers, as there are so many of them that look a lot alike. Also there are different color variations within the same species, but I'd take a guess that it is a Broad Winged hawk.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Geoff, For size reference the branch it's on is 1 3/4" dia. Not a Red Tail, too big for a Kestral or Sharp-shinned, I'm now thinking maybe a Coopers. The tail looks too long for a Broad Winged.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

After showing the photos to my one friend the general concensus is immature Coopers.

And now ya know the (maybe) story.

·
Super Moderator
32,701 Posts

That is beautiful. I have always loved birds and watching them. Not a birdwatcher as such where I can name them. I just think they are pretty. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Downside? Could be. I saw a hawk again this morning, it rocketed away silently from the back of the cherry tree as I stepped onto the deck. Have not seen a squirrel for a while and that's OK. Trouble is I have not seen any robins or songbirds lately. They are usually carring on their battles for the rights for nesting and to the fruit when it arrives.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I certainly won't swear to it, but that might be an immature Harpy eagle. It's wonderful how the adults can carry off the neighborhood children.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mjr said:
I certainly won't swear to it, but that might be an immature Harpy eagle. It's wonderful how the adults can carry off the neighborhood children.
I'll have to do research. Never known of Harpy's here. I think the children are safe for the time being.
;)
mjr, think I'm pretty safe too, check the punch.....

·
Registered
288 Posts

Geoff40 said:
Any bird of prey that allows you a look at itself like this one is a treat. It can be tough to ID a hawk, even for expert bird watchers, as there are so many of them that look a lot alike. Also there are different color variations within the same species, but I'd take a guess that it is a Broad Winged hawk.
If ol' Elmer would've seen it it would've been a Dead Hawk!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts