Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had a model 29 for a few years, came with a red dot. Recently decided I wanted to put the original sights back on.. and got stumped on this stupid little thing. It's loose, it wobbles but won't
Tire Automotive tire Finger Rim Hand
slide out the way factory sights do.. any smarter folks than me willing to drop some knowledge.. it's can't be that complicated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If your finger in the pic is on the elevation screw it appears to be screwed all the way out. It has to be screwed into that little square block that slides into the mortis on the frame. Also that screw(head) contains a spring and plunger(to give you the positive clicks when you adjust up or down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The piece I have my finger on is where the elevation screw goes.. but the part in the photo I'm trying to remove is part of a mount for a red dot that I want to do away with in order to go back to the iron sights.

In the case of the original sights it just slides on and off, but for whatever reason this little mounting bracket won't slide back.

I've tried to tighten down that screw but didn't seem to make a difference in removal. It's got me stumped..

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Try this. Remove the grips and hold the gun upside down (sights down), then rap the grip frame with a wooden or plastic tool handle or a rubber mallet to see if you can vibrate the sight loose. Basically, this is how the sideplates and stuck stocks are removed and the sideplate is swaged to fit. You might be able to have it come completely free and fall out. But if it loosens so you can get a pry bar under it, that'll work. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try this. Remove the grips and hold the gun upside down (sights down), then rap the grip frame with a wooden or plastic tool handle or a rubber mallet to see if you can vibrate the sight loose. Basically, this is how the sideplates and stuck stocks are removed and the sideplate is swaged to fit. You might be able to have it come completely free and fall out. But if it loosens so you can get a pry bar under it, that'll work. Good luck!
You had the right idea.. took a block of wood and a hammer but she came loose, thanks for your help :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts