Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I am a first time gun owner and purchased a 4506 as my first handgun. The friend I purchased gun from stated that the safety came lose and they had to attach it with a screw..... (super Jerry rigged imo) after firing a mag or two the screw comes lose.
I am trying to find a replacement safety lever for my new baby and I am having trouble locating anything. I have found the safety, the spring, and the plunger but not the safety lever. I will attach photos and maybe someone can help me. Worst case scenario if someone would be able to send a schematic of one with dimensions i might be able to get one cncd.
Thank you for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wanted to replace the ambi safety on my 6906 to a single sided one.

Found one on Numrich. Sold the ambi one.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
hello, I am a first time gun owner and purchased a 4506 as my first handgun. The friend I purchased gun from stated that the safety came lose and they had to attach it with a screw..... (super Jerry rigged imo) after firing a mag or two the screw comes lose.
I am trying to find a replacement safety lever for my new baby and I am having trouble locating anything. I have found the safety, the spring, and the plunger but not the safety lever. I will attach photos and maybe someone can help me. Worst case scenario if someone would be able to send a schematic of one with dimensions i might be able to get one cncd.
Thank you for your time.
Go to Brownell's website. There is a Schematics tab. Find your make & model and go from there. Try Jack First Inc. Rapid City, SD for the parts. Brownell's may have the parts you need. Hope this helps. Good Shoot'n....!

·
Registered
24 Posts
That safety was actually designed, with the phillips head
screw retaining the right side safety lever (early version
of 4506).

Replacing the entire safety drum is not considered at
"drop-in" process, as there's possibly some timing
issues with sear release during decocking.

Check PM for alternate ideas...

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
My 5906 and 669 have ambidextrous safeties on them, and they're bot designed differently. My 5906 uses an internal locking pin that locks it into the other half of the safety mechanism, and there is a pin hole used to depress the lock to remove the right side safety lever.

My 669 uses a phillips screw to lock the 2 parts together. Yours appears to use the screw. When you get the parts you need, before final assembly put a drom of semi-permanent threadlock on the screw threads and finish the assembly.
** Very, very important step here...Be absolutely certain you are using the correct size and shaped Philips screwdriver tip. There are many screwdriver tips that look alike, but are slightly different. Check and double check the fit before you accidentally end up stripping off the screw top.

Reactions: WKLaredo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Steve64 is correct. That's the way 2nd gen and early 3rd gen .45s were made. The Phillips head screw is correct for your early 3rd generation 4506. It can be changed to the later version but it's not a job for someone with no experience doing it. There's nothing wrong with the Phillips head if you use a drop of Locktite on the screw. It won't back out then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts