Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not been long ago that diamond stocks were available and reasonable in price.

I know older guns have steadly climbed in value, but I think the correct stocks are outpacing them in how fast they increase in price.
Not long ago, at the begining of this year, $50 and a little internet work could find you a nice set of diamonds for your K frame. It's more like a hundred now. And you gotta' be CAREFUL because cracks and chips are the norm on those for sale. Good pictures rule when your buying on the net.

Just a rant on one more thing I can't control about my hobby!!! kufO

GGF

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Good rant. It goes right along with dealers that harvest the grips for E-Bite and still want premium dollars for the rest of the "like new 97%" revolver

·
Registered
103 Posts
Collector grade grips are going up by the month,, its unreal. I collect original vintage Smith and Wesson grips and currenty having to pay twice what I was paying this time last year for perfect examples. Grips new on the card and grips in perfect conditon are the ones climbing in leaps and bounds. Grips of lesser condition seem to hover around the same price just slightly increasing each year. I recently watched a pair of Non-Relieved K diamond targets sell for 275 dollars at the gunshow in Louisville Ky. I offered 200 for these grips the first day of the show and got laughed at. When did grips become worth more than the gun itself ?

John

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
AND, ladies and gentlemen, there are so many "...small chip on horn..." examples it'll knock your socks off!
Fixable, yes...
'Like new"?
Hardly! hpzl;n;
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its absolutely crazy. Not too long ago I went looking for a nice, but not necessarily perfect, set of N-frame diamond targets for one of my guns. $300 and up for anything worth having. omg01
Needless to say, I'm still looking.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DHENRY said:
AND, ladies and gentlemen, there are so many "...small chip on horn..." examples it'll knock your socks off!
Fixable, yes...
'Like new"?
Hardly! hpzl;n;
Don
Boy ain't THAT the truth!?!

"Small chip" ends up being 1/5th of the horn, and if you buy 'em you got the HORN! njgapjgj

And Mr Fugate, I bought this Mod 15 @ 400 & figured 1 of it was grips!

GGF

·
Registered
784 Posts
The market does dictate the prices. However, I'm in agreement with the writers of the S&W catalogue. Buyers should reduce the value of S&W handguns by the going rate for desirable grips. I would hazard a guess that most any pre-1968 S&W revolver that doesn't have original grips, has had its grips replaced, and the original diamond-centered grips have been removed and sold.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And another thing... once at the Louisville show I bought an N frame with 2 sets of grips that the seller said were "period correct for the gun". I said OK (whatever) and took 'em with the deal.

See anything wrong for an N serial numbered Mod 28-2!?! (Hint--- not every dealer is a S&W expurt!)

nfiofnp GGF

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Now you guys know why I thought these were a good deal at $115.00. BTW, that's not a chip by the triggerguard, the wood there is a bit lighter for some reason.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
John, they're Eagle-Grips, Heritage series. I like 'Cokes' but, the only decent S&W N-frame Sq.Butts I could find were $200.00.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
In case there are members who are not aware, several fine gentlemen do a first-class job of reconstructing those missing chips on the grip-horns.
Their work is excellent. kfjdrfirii
If anybody needs more information, please send me an email.
Don
;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello All
It is no secret that grips have Tripled or Quad tripled in price the past few years, and I Blame part of that to Flea-Bay and other auction's that show Biding war's on them to be norm. :evil: On The Subject of Eagle's Grip's they often run hit and miss on fit. I Purchased a set of K-Round conversion grips for my 617 and they fell short on fit in the back strap area and the upper wing areas. :evil: I contemplated returning them, but feared I would get back Something worse in return. :roll: The ones shown in this thread seem to fit decent, but the ones I bought were their Coke profile Smooth Target grips and the fit was Hideous. When I Picked up a Pre-27 in Nickel with a 3-1/2" Barrel, it came to me with a set of Executioner Stag Magna grips on it. They were of the Highest quality, but I am not a lover of the magna style grip's, so I decided to locate a set of Original Coke profile target grips for it, as it lettered with Three T's so it was evident someone had Harvested the Original Coke's it was shipped with. :cry: In Looking for a set of nice Original grips The Prices averaged from $325.00-$425.00 for a pair without issues of worn checkering or chips, so I felt I was lucky to find the set I did for $300.00, as I saw many with Cracks, splits, chips and worn checkering going for between the $250-$300.00 Range. I was a little leery of them, as the seller did not have a camera to provide me with pictures, but after a phone conversation with him and a good physical description of what they were, I decided to roll the dice and send him the money. I was not disappointed when they showed Three days later, and looked just as they were described to me. So, Like it or not S&W is not making Grip's any more, nor has anyone else, that I am currently aware of short of Keith Brown Been able to duplicate them, of which to me he seems the best at it out there, so if you want the wood, you have to pay the current market prices or have Keith make a Pair for you, which would have been what I would have done if I had not the ones shown... ;) Hammerdown

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hammerdown,

Those grips you pictured are easily worth 500-600. I cant find mint cokes for even 400.00 bucks, everything I find at shows or on ebay are in the 3-4 hundred dollar range have some type of problem. When you find a mint set you better hang on to them or ask 700.00 a pair for them, then when you least expect it someone will pay you for them. I watched a mint set bring over 800.00 on Ebay last year,, I know thats a little high but someone was willing to pay it. 500.00 is the most I ever pay for perfect examples when I find them. Although I dont find many sets that meet my standards,,I am very critical when I grade condition. I guess rosewood is somewhat brittle, I find lots of cokes with chips on them I pass on. If originality is not a concern call Keith Brown if you want a set of Cokes. His Cokes have more eye apeal than anything that ever came from Smith and Wesson. I have a set of Keiths Cokes in exhibition grade wood,, I am just waiting for the right gun to put them on.

John Fugate

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello John
I feel your pain. After following countless auctions on Flea-Bay where most had issues, I decided to do a Little Internet Surfing. I Goggled S&W Coke Grips and found an add where the Guy advertised a set for $250.00 in perfect condition. It had a phone number so I called it, and the seller stated those grips had sold over Six Years ago, and somehow it was an Old Gun List add I had dug up. He did say he thought he may have one more pair of them in his attic but would have to look for them. He took my number, and I thought that would be the last I heard from him. Less than 10 Minutes later my phone rang and he said he had found the ones shown. He gave me a price and I sent a Postal money order the very next day. It makes me wonder just how many more pairs of these are lying in attics covered up with Dust ? Hammerdown

1 - 17 of 17 Posts