Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would really like to see photos of the inappropriately machined cylinder. If it had a conical shape to it, how did the cartridge fit into it?

It would also be interesting to read how S&W handles this.

Thanks for the link!

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
The pciture of that gun has been making the rounds on forums and emails. The latest email says goes something like this:

"Someone needs to learn how to reload
M629 BLOWUP
A guy came into our department the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new load and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw....."

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Seen this picture about 40 times so far on various forums. I don't know if the guy on the link is the actual guy it happened to as there is about a dozen different stories that go with the picture.

Regardless, I call BS on the guy from the link. How could his gunsmith know what non-canister type of powder was used and whether it was appropriate or not?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
"WTS Smith & Wesson model 629. Some small imperfections as can be seen in the photos. Does come with original box however." kihfL

·
Registered
19,797 Posts
I suspect that ...by manufactered......he was refering to commercially available reloads. It is not the same as factory manufactured NEW ammo. Probably, he wanted to save money on ammo. Well.....he's saving money now that....... he doesn't shoot that gun anymore!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
489 Posts
In a later post he identified the ammo as Federal American Eagle 240 grain, and from the one bullet you can still see lodged in the one split chamber, that seems to be correct.

The thing that bothers me is that since S&W revolvers rotate counter-clockwise, that exploded chamber with the bullet still lodged in it had to be the "first" of the two shots he says he fired. But if the prior round was a squib load that left the bullet half in the chamber and half in the barrel, he would not have been able to rotate the cylinder into position to fire the one that exploded.

The only way I can see this differently is if the half-chamber visible on the right side of the frame is the one that blew up, completely shredding the chamber that fired the first round successfully and tearing off half of a chamber (and part of its chambered cartridge) that would have been last to fire the way the cylinder was loaded. But how directional can an explosion be? If it took the top strap completely off, I would have expected it to do equal damage to the flanking chambers -- not to two chambers on one side of the detonation chamber.

I just get a doubtful vibe as I read the narration. Something's not right with what is being reported. If the reporter is in fact the shooter, I am delighted that he escaped the incident without serious injury. But I don't think we have had a straight story about what's going on here.

David Wilson

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, his story doesn't add up as DCW pointed out. I doubt the gun was the problem.

Years ago I had a squib from American Eagle, bullet was stuck half in barrel and half in cyl. I was extremely unhappy and took the gun and ammo back to the guy that sold it to me as "Fine low cost Ammo". Fortunately it was the 6th one after I shot the first 5, but it freaked me out. "He" had to tap it back down into the shell to open cyl to get it out.

I'll never let that ammo near my guns ever again.

Too bad these idiots on that site try to trash S&W after not knowing any facts.

Dave

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
That doesn't look like any AE to me.
What it does look like is the unfortunate consequence of a 'double load' of two 'way-above-maximum' charges in at least one round.
Like I said on another forum, money saved on handloads doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't know what you're doing.
;)
Don

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Either I'm looking at it wrong or three chambers are missing. Also, the extractor rod is missing along with the extractor wheel. Does this seem right to you guys?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ya Don, the AEs I had were SWCs, and was probably 18 years ago, but it has been 18 years as no customer.

It was in new M29 Classic Magnum and it didn't blow up, and the squib wasn't the gun's fault. I think there was no powder at all, because it only clicked when hammer fell, I did have ear protection on tho, so click was probably the primer.

Anyway this blown gun story is a lot of BS.

Dave

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
gunsmith..... said the #2 chamber that blew seemed to be slightly conical shaped at the front....like it was smaller diameter at front than at rear. I wonder if the chamber blocked bullet from exiting?
Ummmmmmmmmm, isn't that called the throat? Never known a modern smokeless revolver to not have throats. :roll:

This whole thing sounds strange and I can't believe the ignorance displayed by some of the posters there (especially the one who alluded that the mishap was caused by the dreaded "lock". Please! :roll: ).

I gotta think that I gotta agree with those who feel this is a load of bull hocky.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I have shot alot of 240 Grn. JHP American Eagle .44 Magnum ammunition... I used to buy if by the case in fact.

I've never had any problems at all with it and found it to be completely satisfactory over a very long period of time. When I had my farm and two yound sons that were shooting alot, I used to keep it on hand for use in our carbones and revolvers. I have killed several deer and many other critters, big and small with it.

To say this was the problem seems improbable to me.....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Does anyone remember the other one just like this a while back that was going around? It was with a 329 then. Looked exactly the same. It's always with a gun with a lock and always a 44. I think the same dumba$$ figured out how to blow up a Smith just to show the IL guns are weaker than the pre-locks as was what his excuse was before. Something about he narrowly escaped with his life. Give him a pre 29 and see if it happens again, I bet not because he wouldn't try it.

·
Super Moderator
19,375 Posts
I've seen this posted on 3 other forums in the past week and actually had 2 of my friends e-mail links about it to me.
It seems that the real story is that his revolver was stuck in an oven somewhere and heated till the metal began to fatigue and then the bullets exploded in the cylinder from a safe distance, to destroy the revolver and see what would happen in a worst case scenarion.

I've seen a couple of other threads showing numerous other revolvers geting shreaded too.
The Ruger's just seemed to have the backstrap either bend or peel back with the cylinders splitting or falling out.

I think this is an old post where somebody found some pictures online and started spreading the story as if it's "their gun failure" story.
Without proof of the actual user with the revolver in hand, and verified to be current makes this story interesting but not worth much more than that in my opinoin.

I had a squib shot and then the follow up shot "blow-up" in my hand and all it did was bulge the barrel of my Model 14. I posted the pics and story here Back in August. I got a great deal of support and advice from you all too.

I seriously think this gun was tampered with in some fashion before they "blew it up".
Certainly incidents like this may and/or will occur, but IMOH I don't think it would be posted in all of these forums as different stories and with different owners (story originators) with the same pics in them, all at the same time.

This is about 70% BS and somebody trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.

Post pictures of the real owner of the story, with a picture of todays headlines on some newspaper, with the gun in his hand & I will probably consider it as a story of note.
Otherwise, it's just one more chainmail piece of spam eating up forum space.

·
Registered
19,797 Posts
I fail to understand.....why these people even bother to make up stories like this one. :roll: You can make ANY gun fail....if you do stupid things with it!!!! Must have some issues with S&W. Most likely....pi$$ed off, because S&W wouldn't give him a new gun. Bob

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yeah, well I'm back on line now and have been browsing around. That story and photo are popping up all over the place, always with inappropriate comments from people who don't know their butt from Adam's off ox. Come to that, you can go back as far as you like in old magazines through the 30's and 40's and find similar overcharge mishaps blamed on the gun.

People never learn. Or want to, it seems.

David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts